Assistance with an Arrighi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
shaywhat

Assistance with an Arrighi

Postby shaywhat » 03 Sep 2011, 04:41

Hello. I'm fairly novice at searching for information. But, the Italian side of my family is proving downright hard. Any assistance ANYONE can provide (whether by pointing me in the right direction or even by being a like descendent) would be amazing.

Information I have:

John Andrew Arrighi
born 1839 in Florence, Firenze, Toscana, Italy

arrived in New York (per an article I have in the newspaper with him) when he was around 19 but, according to a census in 1880 he says 17. So 1856-1858ish.

Died in Alabama in 1931.

Family history told to me by his great-grandaughter is that he left during the second Italian Civil War to avoid having to fight (only to end up fighting in the American Civil War a couple years later).

By my best guess his name would've been Americanized and I assume he'd be Giovanni Antonio. But that's only an assumption as I have no idea where to go next. I'd like to try and trace my Italian roots back a bit more, but its proving very difficult. Again, any help anyone can be would be great. I've searched what passenger records I can but keep coming up with nothing.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Assistance with an Arrighi

Postby adelfio » 03 Sep 2011, 13:35

Welcome to the website
I saw his civil war info on ancestry from Alabama
How did you get the info on his town of birth? Did he have any brothers and sisters?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

shaywhat

Postby shaywhat » 03 Sep 2011, 14:28

Family word of mouth always gave it as such and I WANT to say I have/had something that stated the same. I lost a lot of stuff recently due to a hard drive crash, but I'll go through my sources again and see what I have. There's a longish thread, as well, on ancestry on this topic started a coupleyears ago...but we never did get much further.

shaywhat

Postby shaywhat » 03 Sep 2011, 14:31

As far as siblings go I've never heard mention of them.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 03 Sep 2011, 14:49

If he was born in the town of Florence he was baptized for sure in the Santa Maria del Fiore Church because until 1935 every baby born in the town was baptized there:

http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/englis ... o_fedi.asp

You can search the free database here:
http://www.operaduomo.firenze.it/battesimi/

I checked it from 1839 to 1845 and found no baptism act for Giovanni Arrighi son of Giuseppe and Carolina...

from Familysearch.org:

Alabama Deaths, 1908-1974 for

Name: John Andrew Arrighi
Titles & Terms (Original):
Titles & Terms (Standardized):
Death Date: 10 Jan 1931
Death Place: Grady,Montgomery,Alabama
Race (Original):
Race (Standardized):
Age at Death: 91y
Estimated Birth Date: 1840
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Marital Status:
Spouse's Name: Julia Arrighi
Spouse's Titles & Terms (Original):
Spouse's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
Father's Name: Joseph Arrighi
Father's Titles & Terms (Original):
Father's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Name: Carolin Arrighi
Mother's Titles & Terms (Original):
Mother's Titles & Terms (Standardized):
Mother's Birthplace:
Street Address:
Residence:
Cemetery:
Burial Place
Burial Date:
Funeral Home:
Informant:
Additional Relatives:
Film Number: 1908485
Reference Number: 1889

Arrighi is a tuscany lastname spreaded all over Tuscany, maybe he was born in the area around Florence..

Laura

shaywhat

Postby shaywhat » 03 Sep 2011, 15:03

Ah, thank you! I had just found the death certificate with the names (luckily saved on a different hard drive >.<)

Florence is a pretty big area to hit. I'll see what I can come up with. Thank you very much. :-D

shaywhat

Postby shaywhat » 10 Sep 2011, 23:52

So upon further research I found a Census taken of Alabama Confederate Soliders taken and he gave his date of birth and Florence, Italy as his birthplace. Are there any other churches that have their records online that I could check? I found AN Arrighi through the Santa Maria del Fiore's website but the first name is different.

Second question: Given that infant deaths were very common back then, wasn't it common for them to wait about a year before they were baptised? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

Thanks for any assistance!

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 11 Sep 2011, 02:43

shaywhat wrote:Second question: Given that infant deaths were very common back then, wasn't it common for them to wait about a year before they were baptised? Or am I wrong in thinking that?

Thanks for any assistance!

Actually, they tried to baptize them quickly...

From an earlier thread at this forum - by member "johnnyonthespot"
Italian infants were often baptized on the say of birth or within a few days at most, for the simple reason that so many children died in the first few weeks or months of life.

According to Trafford R. Cole's Italian Genealogical Records: How to Use Italian Civil, Ecclesiastical & Other Records in Family History Research
:

Without baptism, a person cannot achieve paradise, and if a baby dies soon after birth without baptism, it must remain in a state of "limbo" for eternity. As a result, the practice of the church for centuries has been to baptize children as soon after birth as possible. In earlier centuries, due to the high risk of infant mortality, baptism was usually performed on the day of or the day after birth. It was rare when two or more days passed between birth and baptism. After a difficult birth, if the child seemed unlikely to survive, the midwife was sanctioned by the church to perform the sacrement herself. If the child died, this baptism was considered sufficient; if the child lived, the ceremony was repeated by the priest.

T.

shaywhat

Postby shaywhat » 11 Sep 2011, 02:48

*nod* That makes sense. I just got my information backwards. Thanks for that.

Then yeah, he wasn't baptized in del Fiore. There's an Arrighi in the right year...but not with his "presumed" name.

Alright, back to the chalkboard.

Thank you.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”