Translation help -- abandoned child?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Translation help -- abandoned child?

Postby lcafarel » 04 Sep 2011, 03:03

Could someone please transcribe and prvide a literal translation for the attached clipping from an 1826 birth record from Stigliano, Matera, Basilicata? I can't quite make out the handwritten words after "professione" and "Projetta che . . ." so this will help me learn the Italian so I can recognize it in future.

Is this the case of an abandoned child? The child has been given the name Antonia Spagna. How would the name be chosen in such a case?

This is from the first page of the record. I also need help with a section of page 2, but cannot seem to upload it right now.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TriciaFierro
Elite
Elite

Re: Translation help -- abandoned child?

Postby TriciaFierro » 04 Sep 2011, 04:23

Are you able to post the entire record? It's easier to compare the letters throughout the document and then attempt to translate. If you cannot post as an attachment you can use a website like postimage.org where you can post your images for free and then add the link here in the forum for us to view the full document. Thank you!
Tricia Fierro
Surnames of Interest: Fierro, Castiello, DiPersio, D'Elia, Maimone, laVigna, Marano, leVigne, Panzone, Ruccio, D'Orta, Capuozzo-Capozzi, Calamita, Venditto, Chicchella
Ancestors From: Montecalvo Irpino, Roccanova, Villa Oliveti

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 04 Sep 2011, 06:16

I'm not sure that's necessary; this is a standard form with the birth record on the left and the baptismal record on the right. There are not many additional words written in on this page, and the bottom section of the birth record, which normally gives the mother's name, age, profession, and residence (usually filled in "come sopra," referring to the husband)is not filled in at all. No date of birth is given. There is more handwriting on the reverse with the witnesses names, so perhaps I can post more of that.

I can read everything through Margarita Casolaro's age (sessanta)and can make out some words and letters. After "professione," it looks like "Ricevi tricede (or Ricevitro cede?) Projette domiciliata a Stigliano quale ci ha presentato una Projetta che hai trovato nelle ricota (or vicota) involta in alcuni cenci." The last part seems to say "a projectile (cast-away?) wrapped in some rags," but I don't know what the word after nelle is or the professione.

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 04 Sep 2011, 06:25

I don't know if this will help, but here's the rest of page one of this record. The rest of it is easy to read.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 04 Sep 2011, 08:15

The lady's profession is to pick up any babies left in the 'wheel' and take them to the Mayor for naming and then for baptism. The Mayor selects a surname that is not found in the town, or invents one gives a first name and then the child is baptized. Projetti does mean 'thrown away' and this is the term given to babies who are abandoned. If there is any object or letter left with the child it will also be written in the act so that if the mother wnats to claim the child later she must tell what this object was. The child (nor any one else except the anagrafe clerk will ever see this act as it is written until the privacy period has passed.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 04 Sep 2011, 15:08

Thank you for the explanation. What is the "wheel?"

Could someone provide a transcription and literal translation of the sections of the Italian I cannot read so I can recognize these words in future? Thank you!

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Sep 2011, 16:27

The wheel is like a revolving door that leaves the baby out of the elements and in Italy they rather have the mother put the baby through the wheel than abandon him on the street. Also the mother can do this with out leaving her name or without any hassles.
Read this article

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 563522.ece

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 04 Sep 2011, 16:39

Thanks, but the link doesn't work.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 04 Sep 2011, 16:44

lcafarel wrote:Thanks, but the link doesn't work.

I tryed the link it worked here it is again

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 563522.ece

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 04 Sep 2011, 17:04

I kept getting a 404 Error when I clicked on it, but it works if you copy and paste the URL into your browser. Thanks.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 04 Sep 2011, 17:12

This thread here at the forum has a discussion that may help... :-)

topic4023.html

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”