Sormanti relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Sormanti relatives

Postby Amansolillo » 04 Sep 2011, 05:52

Hello. My great-grandfather was Arduino Sormanti. His wife was Angelina Simonelli. They were born in 1890 and 1892, respectively. Arduino was the son of Francesco Sormanti and Angela Cocuzzoli (spelling of Angela's last name varies with records. Unknown if actually Cocuzzoli). Arduino had eight brothers and sisters, Marietta, Teresa, Brigida, Giovani, Umberto, Giuseppe, Vittorio, and Alfredo. I would appreciate any information on the correct spelling of Angela's last name and the identities of the spouses and children of Ardunio's silbings.
Last names of interest: Mansolillo, Morena, Grasso, Montecalvo, Fusco, Sinapi, DelBonis, Grossi, Sormanti, Cocuzzoli, Simonelli, Bevilacqua, Uccello, Cultrera, Pesaturo, Fragola

Re: Sormanti relatives

Postby Italysearcher » 04 Sep 2011, 08:20

If you request the birth records of the siblings (female ones) from the town they will often have notations of their marriage.
Spelling of a name depends on how the person hearing it pronounced, wrote it down. If the person was illiterate they would not know if it was written correctly or not. In Italian every letter is pronounced so you write what you hear.
Example. Pizza is pronounced as if there is a 't' before the 'z'. So if an American were to adopt the same principle of writing what you hear you might spell it 'peetza'.
Ann Tatangelo
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. ... ly/7731505

Re: Sormanti relatives

Postby suanj » 04 Sep 2011, 11:05

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Arduino Sonnauti
Name: Arduino Sonnauti ( SORMANTI)
Arrival Date: 30 Mar 1910
Birth Year: abt 1890
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: cepram (CEPRANO)
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Germania

by ship's manifest, Arduino was born in Ceprano, next of kind in Italy grandfather Antonio Cocuzzoli in Ceprano and joining at Francesco father in Providence RI.
The Angela maiden name spelling is Cocuzzoli.

I found some records of Sormantis in Providence RI:
Giovanni b. 14 Jan 1891-d. ....:
Spouse: Giovanni Sormanti
Michelina Chiaro
Marriage: 10 Sep 1917 ( children: Angela Sormanti 23 Jul 1918 - Rhode Island; Antonio Sormanti 15 Feb 1920 - Rhode Island

Brigida( ?? Bice/Bridget):
Spouse: Bice Sormanti
Alberto Bove (b. 13 Mar 1888-d. Dec 1979 Providence, Rhode Island)
Marriage: 4 Nov 1918 ( children in 1930: Ledia Bove b. abt 1924 and Anna Bove b. abt 1927)

Giuseppe( aka Joseph) b. 15 Mar 1896-d. Mar 1986 Providence RI:
Spouse: Joseph Sormanti
Theresa Sanchirico
Marriage: 4 Oct 1920

by genealogic tree on
Vittorio( aka Victor) Sormanti
spouse: Doris Dooley
unknown marriage date

Alfredo( aka Alfred b. 3 Aug 1911 by SSDI/3 Aug 1910 by RI birth - Rhode Island-d. Oct 1964 Rhode Island); spouse Edith Shippe

Visit my website:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”