Mariano Stazzone-Nicosia, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lilbees
Master
Master

Mariano Stazzone-Nicosia, Sicily

Post by lilbees »

Mariano Stazzone was my grandmother's 2nd husband. They did not marry until 1944 following the death of my grandfather Vincenzo.

I have located his arrival in 1907 and his naturalization in 1936. I have not been able to locate him in any census for 1910, 1920 or 1930. On his arrival he was going to his cousin Sigismondo Granata in Chicago.

Father: Carmelo
Mother: Agata Mira according to the arrival manifest.

Any assistance or information would be appreciated.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
lilbees
Master
Master

Re: Mariano Stazzone-Nicosia, Sicily

Post by lilbees »

I was hoping someone could help me out with the Stazzone family or census information. I am wondering if he went back to Italy during WW I or to family.

Thank you once again.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Mariann Stazzone
Name: Mariann Stazzone
Birth Date: 2 Jan 1883
Birth Place: Nasca, Italy
Residence: Waukegan, Illinois
Race: White

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks Carmine. I do have that one but have not located the one for WW I or any other manifest if he had travelled to Italy and returned after 1907. He naturalized in Waukegan, Lake, Illinois in 1937.

Such a huge gap in time. Nothing from 1907 on his arrival until 1937 for the naturalization. I have check his cousin Sigismondo Granata's census information as well as the surrounding neighborhood. I also checked Waukegan for the areas he may have stayed in.

lilbees
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It does seem odd, doesn't it?

My suggestion would be to spend $7.50 at the National Archives to obtain copies of his naturalization documents. These will show his "last" date and method of entry into the US which may prove to be other than the 1907 voyage you already found. Not only that, but you will also learn if he was married at the time and the names, places, and dates of birth of any children he may have had.

If interested, start here https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov and go ahead and create an account on the right. Next, click "Order Reproductions" and then "Immigration & Naturalization Records"

Response time is often less than two weeks; and there is no charge if they do not locate the record.

When completing the order form, you may encounter fields which demand you enter something even though you don't have the information available; just put X's or 9's in those fields and continue; use the comment box at the bottom of the form for additional details. Be sure to give a valid daytime contact phone number as the archivist will often call in order to verify information or provide additional guidance.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Carmine. Mariano was naturalized in the Circuit Court of Lake County, Illinois. I can have my daughter pick up a copy on Monday or Tuesday.

As far as I know he was never married prior to 1944 and was single when he arrived in 1907. He had some family (cousins?)in New York but his direct family was in Chicago as far as I know.

Will let you know what I come up with for the naturalization papers.

lilbees

P.S. Should have thought of this in the first place. :wink:
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Hi Lilbees :D

I believe this was the 1930 census:

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Maria Stoscon
Home in 1930: Waukegan, Lake, Illinois
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Head
Education:
Military Service:
Rent/home value:
Age at first marriage:
Parents' birthplace:
View image
Neighbors:View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Maria Stoscon 47 , head, male, single, immigr. year 1907, labourer in a foundry
Andrew Colado 45, male, single, lodger

address was 561 Market street (same of the naturalization index card)

image:
http://postimage.org/image/1l6ppd0zo/

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

and the WW1 draft registration card:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name: Merian Stotso
County: Lake
State: Illinois
Birth Date: 2 Jan 1883
FHL Roll Number: 1614033
DraftBoard:2

address lokks like 673 Market street Waukegan, nearest relative Agata Mirta - Nicosia - Italy

image:
http://postimage.org/image/2217d1mys/

Laura
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

As usual, you have pulled the rabbit out of the hat. Thank you so much.

Small irony, he was living in my Grandfather Rescigno's boarding house. Should read my own census copies :oops: . Well at least I have an idea of how my grandmother might have known him after my grandfather died in 1931.

Small world.

Thank you again.

lilbees
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Hi, my name is Josue Stazzone

I dont know what kind of information you are looking for but as far I know we are few with Stazzone.

If I can help you just write as well.

Good night.