fraviga/fravigar surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
hatter08

fraviga/fravigar surname

Postby hatter08 » 08 Sep 2011, 22:23

hi,

i wonder if anyone can help me? my family are researching our family tree and we know that we have italian ancenstry from a relative called Augustine Fraviga(r) who was born in Genova around 1816... he travelled to england and married (settled in boston, lincolnshire), and we think he added the letter "r" to the end of fraviga... we also think that his profession was in ice cream/sweets... does anyone know of the Fraviga surname, or any other information which could help us?

many thanks

chris

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: fraviga/fravigar surname

Postby johnnyonthespot » 09 Sep 2011, 13:29

As you can see here http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html?cognome=FRAVIGA, the surname Fraviga does exist in small numbers in modern Italy. The largest number seem to be in Vittuone which is a bit northwest of Milano, although there are also a few in the Genova area.

See also current Italian telephone listings for Fraviga at http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi?iq=&ver=default&font=default&btt=1&l=en&mr=10&rk=&om=&qs=fraviga&dv=

If you haven't done so already, try searching here http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl for UK records. Fraviga comes up empty, but there are many records for Fravigar with Augustine's 1877 death record right at the top of the results. Since Fraviga is a somewhat rare name in Italy and Fravigar is a made-up name, it would not surprise me to learn that all of the individuals in the freebmd results are related.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Sep 2011, 16:03

Correct lastname could have been Fravega, present mainly in the Liguria Region:

http://www.gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html

Laura

hatter08

Postby hatter08 » 12 Sep 2011, 00:31

Big thanks for the information, it's a big help
chris

jonnyfravigar1984

Postby jonnyfravigar1984 » 18 Sep 2011, 15:57

Hi

I from the direct line of Augutine, Augustine was born in Italy Genoa in 1816 and came over to England around 1840 he married a widow Jane Bogging/Boggan or jackson, he was a travling musican and lived in boston lincs. The ice cream link does not apper till his children and grandchildren started making it and **SPAM** it on skegness beach, my grandfather uncle and father ran a sweet and rock company up till around 7 years witch was sold and it is something that had been in the family since the mid 1920s. As for the name, I have a wedding cert for augustine and jane, the name has been spelt differently twice on the some cert by the registar, Augustine in fact signing with an X which would sergest that he was unable to sign his own name hence the r on the end of Fravigar, I spoke to some Fraviga in Italy and they pronach the name as if it was spelt Fravega. It was always believed that the r was added to make the name sound more english but I think it was that no one really knew how to spell it. There seems to be a lot of fravega in Italy but not so many Fraviga and no Fravigar at all, interesting one although there are lots of fravega in Chile and Argentina and evan some fraviga in Argentina. I was told that a great uncle of mine traced the line back to Italy but found that the pulic records office in Genoa had been burnt down at some point so a lot of records had been burt with it and he found that there was two brothers Augustine being one come to England and another brother going to America but unfortantly i have been unable to find any evidence of this

Love to hear what you have discovered and would love to share my findings with you, you can email me on augustinegenoa@gmail.com. so about the spelling lol

Return to “Italian Genealogy”