Rose Torrisi wife of Giuseppe Torrisi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Mary M

Rose Torrisi wife of Giuseppe Torrisi

Postby Mary M » 09 Sep 2011, 01:18

I’m having trouble finding information on Rose Torrisi. She was the second wife of Giuseppe Torrisi.
Her husband Giuseppe (also Guiseppe) was born in 1887 in Italy. He sailed from Palermo to NY in June, 1913. His first wife Venera Regaglia (assume it is her maiden name) was born in Italy in 1887 and sailed from Naples to Philadelphia in 1914. She brought their 2 children with them. I never knew or heard of Vicenza (1910) until I started researching this family, so she probably died as a young child. Their son was Angelo (1912). Those 2 children were born in Ligonchio. They had 2 other children: Giovanni (1919) and Salvatore (1922) in the US. Salvatore died as a child.
I’m having trouble finding info about them in the US.
Guiseppe did become a naturalized citizen in the mid to late 1920’s and I think Venera was still living at that time. Angelo reappears as an Army POW in WWII.
Giuseppe got remarried to Rose. I’m trying to find out when Venera died and any kind of info on Rose. Giuseppe and Rose had a daughter named Mary; she married Carmen Leati (phonetic from my memory; not exactly sure about the last name). Guiseppe moved in with them in later years and died in 1972. When I last heard, Mary was living in Philadelphia.
My guess is that Giuseppe and Rose were married in the 1930’s. I believe Rose was deceased by the mid 1940’s.
I would appreciate any ideas, direction, info, places to look, etc.

:?:

jsalamone

Re: Rose Torrisi wife of Giuseppe Torrisi

Postby jsalamone » 09 Sep 2011, 04:00

Do you suspect Venara died in the Pennsylvania? If you do, and guess in the 1920s or early 30s, maybe you can check indexes for Penn vital records? Perhaps at the Pennsylvania State Archives or if you guys have a vital records department in the state (though they might not be willing to do research). You do not even necessarily need the actual death record, just the index, because you will probably know it is her when you find it.
You should also look for Giuseppe's naturalization record. They might have that at the area's federal court or at the Penn state archives (or at least they will be able to direct you better).
You can contact the military about Angelo's services in WWII. P.S. You'll be better of if you say he was your grandfather or a direct relative of some sort.
Also, don't be afraid to seek out Mary. I am sure she has some information!
Good Luck!
JS

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Sep 2011, 17:26

His first wife Venera Regaglia (assume it is her maiden name) was born in Italy in 1887 and sailed from Naples to Philadelphia in 1914. She brought their 2 children with them. I never knew or heard of Vicenza (1910) until I started researching this family, so she probably died as a young child. Their son was Angelo (1912). Those 2 children were born in Ligonchio.

If this is the correct 1914 arrival manifest for Venera and her two children then the correct place of birth for them is Linguaglossa (Ligonchio is a town in the north of Italy) just 10 miles far from Giarre, the place of birth of Venera and Giuseppe.

Philadelphia Passenger Lists, 1800-1945

Name: Venera Ragaglia
Arrival Date: 8 Apr 1914
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1888
Ethnic Background: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Ancona
Port of Arrival: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Friend's Name: Guiseppe Torrisi
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Giane, Italy
Microfilm Roll Number: T840_125

this is the WW1 Draft registration card for Giuseppe:

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Name: Joseph Torrisi
City: Philadelphia
County: Philadelphia
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 28 Sep 1887
FHL Roll Number: 1907528
DraftBoard: 3

address is: 912 Catherine street, Philadelphia

just for references, the Petition for the naturalization of Giuseppe:

Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974

Name: Giuseppe Torrisi
State: Pennsylvania
Court Type: District Court
Court Location: Eastern District, Pennsylvania
Naturalization Record Type: Petition for Naturalization
Naturalization Record Number: 80149

image:
http://postimage.org/image/198rmnz9g/

Venera's birth date was 9 june 1887.

Lastname was mispelled but this is the 1920 census:

1920 United States Federal Census

Name: Guiseppe Terise [Guiseppe Kriso]
Home in 1920: Philadelphia Ward 3, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Self (Head) [Head]
Spouse's Name: Anna Teriso
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Year of immigration: 1913
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Guiseppe Teriso 33 head, born in IT
Anna Teriso 33 wife, born in IT
Angelo Teriso 8 son, born in IT
John Teriso 1 [1 6/12] son born in PA

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Sep 2011, 17:56

If the above records are correct then this is the military enlistment for Giuseppe Torrisi on 1942:

https://www.familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3 ... cc=1861144

United States, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Name: Giuseppe Torrisi
Event: MILITARY
Event Date: 1942
Event Place: Clarksboro, Gloucester, New Jersey
Residence: Clarksboro, Gloucester, New Jersey
Birth Date: 28 Sep 1887
Film Number: 2383086
Digital Folder Number: 4135964
Image Number: 04726

Nearest relative: Rose Torrisi

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 09 Sep 2011, 18:51

Death record for son Angelo:

Social Security Death Index

Name: Angelo Torise
SSN:
Last Residence: 08096 Woodbury, Gloucester, New Jersey, United States of America
Born: 20 Dec 1911
Died: 3 Dec 1994
State (Year) SSN issued: Pennsylvania (Before 1951)

Laura

p.s. possible marriage dates for Angelo?

Pennsylvania, Philadelphia Marriage Indexes, 1885-1951

Groom's Name: Angelo Torrisi
Bride's Name: Jennie Anastasi
Marriage License Year: 1932
License Number: 617024
Image Number 00108
Digital Folder Number: 4141837

Mary M

Postby Mary M » 12 Sep 2011, 00:24

Laura, Thank you! You've gotten me to change some directions in my thinking. Finding the alternate spellings for Torrisi and the 1920 census is a breakthrough and big help to me, Laura.
The place they were born was written as Lingnoghia; Linguaglossa fits much better than Ligonchio based on the other info I've been finding. Thank you for helping me by correcting that location.
You’ve got me thinking that Venera may not have been Giuseppe’s wife. She brought the children to the US but she may have been another family member or close friend instead of his wife. That would explain why I never heard of Vicenza. I'm pretty sure he was only married twice. His 1942 draft registration confirms that Rose was his 2nd wife. Most likely Anna was his first wife. I had heard that his 2 wives were Rose and Anna. When I found Venera, figured that her name was changed to Anna because it was easier to use when communicating in the US.
Angelo was married to Mary. After Mary died he was remarried to Marie who died after Angelo. I did find that online.
Thank you again, Laura! You have given me a couple of new ways to go and things to look into.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 12 Sep 2011, 08:37

Y're welcome, I'm always happy to help.. :D

You’ve got me thinking that Venera may not have been Giuseppe’s wife

No.. Venera was for sure Giuseppe's wife because at the time of her 1914 arrival she stated clearly that she was going to Philadelphia to join her husband Torrisi Giuseppe living on 928 8th street. She stated also that her next of kin in Italy was her mother Rosa.
On the arrival manifest her child's lastname is Torrisi.

link to page 1:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=View&r=an&dbid=8769&iid=PAT840_125-0189&fn=Venera&ln=Ragaglia&st=r&ssrc=&pid=756054

link to page 2:
http://search.ancestry.com/Browse/view.aspx?dbid=8769&path=1914.4.Ancona.33&sid=&gskw=Venera+Ragaglia&cr=1

possible her first name's was shorthened to Anna....

Laura

Return to “Italian Genealogy”