Gargano Family Research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
griffin1030

Gargano Family Research

Postby griffin1030 » 16 Sep 2011, 04:03

Hi,

I am trying to find information on my grandfather and his family.

His name was Emilio Gargano born March 6, 1883. I have found a few official documents such as draft cards, childrens birth certificates and unfortunately 1 death certificate for a baby boy and the ship's manifest from 1909 when he came to the U.S. I am trying to figure out his place of birth.

I beleive he may have been illiterate as all of the forms contain different printing and handwriting/signature styles. His draft cards have his name as Erminio. This leaves the possibility that non Italian speaking persons were asking questions and writing down what they thought he was saying....

My dad (since passed away) said his father was from Torre de Passeri. Ships manifest says Tocco da Casauria. Both are close together. Children's birth certificates and one death certificate (twin baby boy) list Teramo and Prov. Teramo as place of birth. Draft cards say place of birth is Pesanoso, Termo (Not TerAmo, just Termo). He was very ill when the cards were filled out and actually passed away within a couple of years. I am very confused as Torre di Passeri and Tocco de Casauria are in Pescara Province, not Teramo Province. I have not yet found a town called Pesanoso. I have found a town called Pescosansonesco in fairly close proximity to the other 2 towns. None are near Teramo, unless I am mistaken.

He was married to Concetta Bicilla from the same town as himself. The question is what town could they have been from?

Any insight would be appreciated.

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Gargano Family Research

Postby adelfio » 16 Sep 2011, 15:23

Welcome to the website I looked at the ship manifest for Emilio Gargano if you look at the list of passengers it says Teramo and Casauria line 24 is Emilio.They might have put down the wrong Province Teramo instead of Pescara. Down the list there are all towns of Pescara. Castiglione,Nocciano all towns in the same province of Pescara. You are probally right with Tocco da Casauria.
His father might have born in Torre de Passeri
click for record click again to enlarge
http://postimage.org/image/1llbaw0dg/

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

griffin1030

Postby griffin1030 » 17 Sep 2011, 01:01

Thank you Marty.
I will try to contact the town hall in Tocco da Casauria next week to see what I can find out.
My Italian is very poor despite having been immersed in the language when much younger. Perhaps I will have a friend call.

This is very intriguing. I would love to visit, with my family, my grandfathers home town and surrounding areas someday. It would be even nicer if we were all Italian citizens too.

Thank you for the fast and informative reply.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 17 Sep 2011, 02:51

You know there are some records from Family History Library for rental 5.75 for viewing on micro film for Italy, Pescara, Tocco da Casauria - Civil registration 1809-1865 and also Italy, Pescara, Torre de' Passeri - Civil registration 1809-1910
Family History Library locator in your area
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp
About Italian records
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Italy_ ... al_Records
Ordering films from FHL
https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Orderi ... ory_Center

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

nromero

Postby nromero » 08 Jan 2012, 05:29

Hi,
My Dad is doing the same research about his grandfather Emilio and grandmother Concetta. My grandfather never talked about his parents so my father doesn't know much. What he is most curious is what happened to Concetta. He can't find any information on her death. Emilio was married twice. My grandfather is from his first marriage with Concetta.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”