Trying to locate my father’s biological mother –Atina, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jellybeans29

Trying to locate my father’s biological mother –Atina, Italy

Postby jellybeans29 » 21 Sep 2011, 05:51

Hi there

I am trying to locate my father’s biological mother. Story goes my dad was left at an orphanage in Atina, Italy and adopted by my grandparents whose last name is Visocchi. My grandparents are said to be second generation Italians who were born in Scotland and went to Atina to adopt and brought my dad back to Scotland. My father met my mother in Scotland and I was also born there but now living in California while my family stills all reside in Scotland. My dad’s adopted parents, my grandparents are both dead and the only other living relative is my dad’s sister (not biological) but I’d rather not ask her for anything if I need to. I just received what copies of documents my father has and had my fiancé who is also Italian read them over and translated them for me. I see that he was born April 29th 1953 in S.Maria Assunta in Atina. The name given to him was Pietro Paulo Molarivo by the nuns or orphanage and then was changed to Visocchi. On his certification of baptism there is woman’s name who is said to be his god mother – Anna Maria Caira fu Fortunato I know that by looking at her last name she was a widower. The weird part is that the birth certificate was signed by a Visocchi (first name is hard to translate) but the church’s name was Parrocchia S. Maria Assunta (cattedrale di Atina –Frosinone) and that’s about it. I am curious as to who my real grandparents were. Can anyone help? I don’t even know if this church acted as an orphanage or even if it exists or anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Lindsay Visocchi

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Trying to locate my father’s biological mother –Atina, I

Postby suanj » 21 Sep 2011, 16:12

hi, you can explain abt:
"and then was changed to Visocchi"
and abt:
"The weird part is that the birth certificate was signed by a Visocchi (first name is hard to translate)"

you can show us the document?
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 21 Sep 2011, 19:21

Anna Maria Caira fu Fortunato I know that by looking at her last name she was a widower.

Anna Maria Caira fu Fortunato means Anna Maria (first name) Caira (lastname) daughter of the late Fortunato... there is no mention to her civil status...

Laura

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 24 Sep 2011, 20:40

Hi Lindsay,
I do a lot of research in Atina and the surrounding area. I live in Sora. If your Grandparents went to Italy to adopt a child there is always the possibility that the child's origin was known to them, especially since they went on to have a child of their own. Possibly the illegitimate child of a sibling or niece. The name change would have likley occured after they arrived in Scotland probably by adoption.
What you have sounds like a baptism certificate. YOu need to get the birth record to find out more.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

jellybeans29

Postby jellybeans29 » 25 Sep 2011, 02:45

suanj - "and then was changed to Visocchi" - He was adopted and his name changed when he came to Scotland
"The weird part is that the birth certificate was signed by a Visocchi (first name is hard to translate)" - I found it odd that on his birth certificate, the official to sign it had the same last name as his adopted parents.

Laura – My fiancé is an Italian and he translated it as widower since it was “daughter of the late Fortunato”
Italysearcher: I have his baptism cert (fede di battesimo e cresima) and birth cert (certificate di nascita) also. It was the certificate di nascita that was signed by the official L’Ufficiale dello stato civille) , also a Visocchi which I thought was odd. Do you know how to get the birth record? My grandparents are both dead and my aunt probably won’t help me (She is the weird one in the family and if she finds out why I want them she probably won’t give me them) The story that is in my family is that my father’s mother was unmarried just as you said. I find it odd that a god mother was even down on his baptism cert..?

jellybeans29

Postby jellybeans29 » 25 Sep 2011, 02:50

P.S the Certificato di nascita was signed 1960. My father was born 1953, the same date was also on the fede di battesimo e cresima. So it looks like these docs were signed when my dad was 7 which I thought was also odd since he was already living in Scotland way before then. According to my father, he has no adoption documents. My father came to Scotland when he was still a baby/very young, not 7.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 25 Sep 2011, 10:22

Italians don't get a permanent copy of their birth record at the time of registration. When they need to provide proof of birth for schol or marriage they simply go to the town hall and request a 'certificate' for whatever purpose they need it for. The person who signs is the one who works at City Hall, he just happened to have the same surname. A copy of the original record has much mre detail. If you would like me to get one for you please send me a private message.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

jellybeans29

Postby jellybeans29 » 27 Sep 2011, 02:56

I sent you a PM :)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”