What exactly is a Denunzia Della Successione?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ms.smith

What exactly is a Denunzia Della Successione?

Postby ms.smith » 21 Sep 2011, 23:07

I am delighted to have been sent one of these documents dated 1887. I have been trying to discover a last will and testament for the deceased person but was told there is no record of a will in the record office of Milan. He lived in Milan. However they were able to send me this Denunzia Della Successione. It is obviously a statement of the value of his Estate. I think he was fairly well off. I feel he must have left a will as he was a widower with two teenage children whose mother had died when they were very young. Should this document help in tracking down his will. Can someone explain the difference between a will and the document I have just received?
Thanks!

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: What exactly is a Denunzia Della Successione?

Postby liviomoreno » 22 Sep 2011, 08:23

If you are a heir of a person who died, you have to present to the Tax office a Denuncia di Sucessione which is a list of the goods that you are inhering and their value.

ms.smith

Postby ms.smith » 23 Sep 2011, 21:46

Thank you for your reply.

Can you tell me, would there have to be a "Last Will and Testament" in order for someone to obtain a Denuncia di Successione? If the surviving next of kin were a son and daughter, would they automatically inherit their father's Estate without him leaving a Will?

Any suggestions on how a Will might be tracked down?

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 24 Sep 2011, 07:24

ms.smith wrote:Thank you for your reply.

Can you tell me, would there have to be a "Last Will and Testament" in order for someone to obtain a Denuncia di Successione? No. If the surviving next of kin were a son and daughter, would they automatically inherit their father's Estate without him leaving a Will? Yes. By law, they would inherit (together with their mother) at least 1/3 of the properties even in presence of a Will that says they are disinherited.

Any suggestions on how a Will might be tracked down? I have no idea

Return to “Italian Genealogy”