Information about Giuseppe Accornero / Torino, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CHill

Information about Giuseppe Accornero / Torino, Italy

Postby CHill » 24 Sep 2011, 01:11

I’ve come across a couple of new names while researching my grandfather Albino Accornero (born Casorzo, last residence Vignale, Northern Italy). From a previous post on this site I learned Albino’s father’s name was Giuseppe. I’m fairly positive Albino’s father did not come to America. What I did find, while looking at Ellis Island records, that there was a Giuseppe Accornero who came to America (through Ellis Island) that lived in the same town as my grandfather and at the same time.

Name: Giuseppe Accornero
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian North
Arrived; March 24, 1913,
Last Residence: Torino, Italy
Marital Status: Single

I also found this entry:

Name: Giuseppe Accornero
Ethnicity: US Citizen
Arrived: Feb 16, 1924
Last Residence: South Manchester, Connecticut USA
Marital Status: Married

Any other ‘Giuseppe’ Accornero that came through Ellis Island (that I was able to find) had passage dates and ages (they were all older) that made me think the above two entries were for the same person.

As I said, the reason I am focusing on these two entries is because my grandfather lived in South Manchester, Connecticut USA for almost four decades. There was, around this same time, (starting in the 1920’s) also an Accornero family living in South Glastonbury, Connecticut the next town over from Manchester, Connecticut. There are two or three ‘Giuseppe’s’ in subsequent generations of that Glastonbury family that I know of. I realize the first name ‘Giuseppe’ is a very common first name but I would like to learn more about this person even though my mother and aunt insist they are not related. Torino, is in Northern, Italy and I believe about 50km away from Casorzo and Vignale, Italy which is where my grandfather was born and last resided.

I was unable to find out the reason why this person (Giuseppe Accornero) came to America in 1913 and I was unable to find out where he was coming back from when he reentered the US in 1924. I also wanted to know if he traveled with someone and if so who. I couldn’t find any info that look like it pertained to this particular Giuseppe Accornero in the 1930 Census nor any other documentation I was able to find. Any information would be most helpful. I tried to contact the Accornero family in Glastonbury but the younger generation seems to know less than I do. I'm wondering if this person returned to Italy at a later date (sometime after 1924) and never returned to the US, but if he was a US citizen I should have been able to locate something.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Information about Giuseppe Accornero / Torino, Italy

Postby pink67 » 25 Sep 2011, 16:46

Have you seen on Ancestry.com this passport application?

U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925

Name: Joseph Accornero
Birth Date: 1 May 1894
Birth Place: Italy
Residence: South Manchester, Connecticut
Passport Issue Date: 21 Apr 1923
Father Name: Domenico Accornero
Father's Birth Location: Italy
Father's Residence: Do Not Know Now
Passport Includes a Photo: Yes

the number of this passport is 272327, the same number listed on the 1924 arrival manifest for Giuseppe Accornero you're talking about.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0003

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 25 Sep 2011, 16:49

May this document will help...

U.S. World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942

Birth Date: 1 May 1894
Birth Place: Alessandria, Italy
Residence: Hartford, Connecticu
Race: White

link to the image on Ancestry.com:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... id=1089045

Laura

p.s.

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

County: San Mateo
State: California
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 1 Mar 1894
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1544325
DraftBoard: 0

link:
http://search.ancestry.com/iexec?htx=Vi ... d=28908765

Social Security Death Index

SSN:
Last Residence: 06040 Manchester, Hartford, Connecticut, United States of America
Born: 1 May 1894
Died: Jul 1976
State (Year) SSN issued: Connecticut (Before 1951)

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 25 Sep 2011, 16:50

Hi Laura :-D !

Here is a related thread
topic23253.html

T.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 25 Sep 2011, 16:54

grazie Tessa :D

CHill

Postby CHill » 25 Sep 2011, 20:50

Tessa78 and pink67:
Thank you for the replys to my lastest post for Giuseppe Accornero / Torino. For the last week I had been following up on all the leads I received last week for my Grandfather Albino Accornero. I posted this post for Giuseppe separately and perhaps I shouldn't have Tessa. Sorry if I caused confusion. This additional info on Joseph may be useful but I had come to a conclusion that Giuseppe and Joseph were two different people. I do believe they knew each other and may have even lived at the same address at one point but I hadn't thought they are the same person. Are either of you thinking differently? I have so very many bits of information that I have found, or people have given me that I may not be piecing the picture together correctly. Possibly they were all intertwined somehow but I have come across no family ties as yet. The reason I am focusing on Giuseppe is because the name "Giuseppe" was written on the back of a photo my grandparents had and the notation "farm in Glastonbury". I'm fairly sure the 'farm' is the apple orchards owned by the Glastonbury Accornero family that I previously mentioned. The facial features of the person in the photo were not clear but I took another look after seeing these posts and the person in my Grandparent's album was not dark (Dark hair and very dark eyes) like Joseph's photo that was taken with the passport application that you found Tessa. Of course, I don't know that the Giuseppe in the photo is the same one I located but it's the only Giuseppe that came through Ellis Island that had a connection to Manchester, Connecticut. I did notice that some of the info with Joseph was similar but I wasn't thinking they were the same person. I guess I'm just not sure so all information is good information at this early stage. Thanks again, Carolyn

CHill

Postby CHill » 25 Sep 2011, 23:27

Tessa78 and pink67:

Oh, do I feel so silly and not very smart! It just dawned on me that Joseph is an English equivalent of 'Giuseppe'. Obviously, that never entered my thinking. My 90 year old Aunt is still very sharp and I'm surprised she didn't think of it. This shows how distant some of us have gotten from our roots! I will look at all of the documents again with new attention! BUT the 'Giuseppe' in my Grandfather's photograph still did not look like the person in the passport application that Tessa found for me. I also have seen pictures of Joseph's four children from when they were in High School with my Mother and Aunt. There is a very strong family resemblance to their father Joseph. They all had dark hair and large dark eyes and same shaped face. When I saw their pictures I immediately thought of the passport picture of Joseph.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Sep 2011, 01:45

CHill wrote:
I was unable to find out the reason why this person (Giuseppe Accornero) came to America in 1913 and [b]I was unable to find out where he was coming back from when he reentered the US in 1924. I also wanted to know if he traveled with someone and if so who. I couldn’t find any info that look like it pertained to this particular Giuseppe Accornero in the 1930 Census nor any other documentation I was able to find. Any information would be most helpful. I tried to contact the Accornero family in Glastonbury but the younger generation seems to know less than I do. I'm wondering if this person returned to Italy at a later date (sometime after 1924) and never returned to the US, but if he was a US citizen I should have been able to locate something.[/b]

Just a consideration...
The passport that I posted in your other thread indicated that the Giuseppe Accornero who was applying was the son of DOMENICO. It also indicated that he was traveling to Italy to settle an estate. The year of the passport was 1923. If you found a manifest for 1924, that MAY BE this Giuseppe returning to USA.

There is a 1930 Census record for Joseph Accornero in Manchester, Connecticut.
Has his immigration as 1901, and his birthdate as about 1895.

The Joseph Accornero on the passport lists his birthdate as 1 May 1894, but says he immigrated in 1913 (which is the manifest you mentioned above).

Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Manchester, Hartford, Connecticut
Estimated Birth Year: 1895
Immigration Year: 1901

Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Enumeration District Number: 0155
Family Number: 448
Sheet Number and Letter: 19A
Line Number: 21
NARA Publication: T626, roll 267
Film Number: 2340002
Digital Folder Number: 4531871
Image Number: 00962
Household Gender Age
Joseph Accornero M 35
Spouse Josephine Accornero F 24
Child Irma Accornero F 5
Child Iaria Accornero F 3
Child Inez Accornero F 1
Cecil M Finley M 31
Spouse Edna Finley F 30
Child Robert M Finley M 5

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Sep 2011, 01:50

Could the name on the back of the photo been "Giovanni" rather than Giuseppe?

There is a John (Giovanni) Accornero who lived in Glastonbury.
According to HIS WWII registration Card his description is:
Brown eyes; Black hair; Dark complexion
He is a bit older - born 1883 in Italy

In 1930 Census in So. Glastonbury...

Name: John Accornero
Event: Census
Event Date: 1930
Event Place: Glastonbury, Hartford, Connecticut
Estimated Birth Year: 1883
Immigration Year: 1905
Relationship to Head of Household: Head
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Enumeration District Number: 0141
Family Number: 326
Sheet Number and Letter: 14A
Line Number: 35
NARA Publication: T626, roll 262
Film Number: 2339997
Digital Folder Number: 4531866
Image Number: 00704
Household Gender Age
John Accornero M 47
Spouse Engenia B Accornero F 48
Child Rena Accornero F 19

T.

CHill

Postby CHill » 26 Sep 2011, 02:31

Hi Tessa,
The writing on the photo seemed very clear when I looked at it but I will look at it again. I find so many things of interest and take in so many bits of information I often miss very obvious clues (Example: Joseph/Giuseppe).

Another example: While looking for information concerning my Grandfather's cousin (Carmino Bussa) I never saw the name Giovanni Accornero when I first looked at the passenger list for Carmino. I was so focused on following this one lead I never saw the name Accornero just a few entries above Carmino's. I could read Giovanni was going to San Francisco, California but I couldn't read the handwriting for the person's name and it looked to be an address. I will enlarge the document and pass it around to family members. Many different eyes may be able to figure it out.

As for the 1930 Census for Joseph I have seen it but will look at it with new eyes since I have found and confirmed some more information about my Grandfather. You included names of three family people with the surname Finley. Did they live at the same address? If so, I will ask my mother and aunt if the name is familiar to them. I'm finding, especially with my 90 year old aunt, that this exploration into our past has worked her mind everyday. Her mind is sharper and she remembers things that she hadn't thought about in decades. Because I ask her questions everyday, and we discuss new leads and she looks for letters, documents, photos every spare minute. My enthusiasm has become her enthusiasm. It has given her new purpose, new life. She says thank you to all who have helped us.

I just saw the post for Giovanni and will read it. Thanks

Carolyn.

CHill

Postby CHill » 26 Sep 2011, 02:48

Giovanni and Giuseppe are two very common first names. The Accornero family that is still living in Glastonbury, Connecticut have several Giovanni and Guiseppes both alive and deceased. I will have to seek their help to sort through some of these documents to determine which ones apply to their family members and which might connect to my Grandfather. I am in the process of finding out who their oldest living family members are. There should be some around my mother and aunts age. I have found my best clues in the Ellis Island passenger lists. The 'last residence column' and the entries where they give the name and address of the person they are meeting. I can't always read the writing but when I can it helps me with new leads and sometimes confirms info that I already have. Carolyn

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Sep 2011, 03:45

I could read Giovanni was going to San Francisco, California but I couldn't read the handwriting for the person's name and it looked to be an address. I will enlarge the document and pass it around to family members. Many different eyes may be able to figure it out.

Can you post this manifest?

You may also recall that Joseph/Giuseppe lived in California (see his passport application) In fact, I think he filed his naturalization papers in California.

T.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 26 Sep 2011, 07:59

Tessa78 wrote:The passport that I posted in your other thread indicated that the Giuseppe Accornero who was applying was the son of DOMENICO. It also indicated that he was traveling to Italy to settle an estate. The year of the passport was 1923. If you found a manifest for 1924, that MAY BE this Giuseppe returning to USA.

On the 1924 arrival manifest the passport number is the same of the passport application so, he was for sure the same person :D

Laura

CHill

Postby CHill » 26 Sep 2011, 14:30

Thank you Laura. My mind and eyes just cannot take in all these details.
I'm still trying to figure out the Ellis Island Passenger lists. Thank You, Carolyn

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Sep 2011, 16:16

Post them here and we'll help you :-D

You can use an image-sharing site like
http://postimage.org/

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”