Adoption Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
anniebooEsposito

Adoption Help

Postby anniebooEsposito » 29 Sep 2011, 18:32

I am looking for the birthplace and birth parents of Catherine Minerva (last name prior to adoption) LoRusso (last name after adoption) LaRusso (married name). When she was adopted she lived in Avigliano, Potenza, Italy but I'm pretty sure she was born somewhere else based on the type of birth record that was used in Avigliano. She was born October 8th 1885. Her adoptive parents were Francesco LoRusso and Carminella Nardozzi. If you can help or have relation the this family that would be great. :D

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Adoption Help

Postby Italysearcher » 29 Sep 2011, 22:53

What type of birth record do you have?
There are lots of posts about adopted children (many of them mine) it is almost impossible to discover the names of birth parents if the child was abandoned. In some cases the child was not abandoned but the authorities refused to include the parents names becasue they were not married in the civil sense. This applied even if they were married in the church.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

anniebooEsposito

Postby anniebooEsposito » 30 Sep 2011, 02:47

Its a civil birth record....im not sure what you mean by what type but I thought it was probably impossible but I thought I would give it a try. Im not sure why she became adopted.

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 30 Sep 2011, 08:29

From Ancestry.com the birth act:

Birth act n. 27 - Part II

Minerva Caterina was born in Avigliano on the day 6 september 1885 (or better, the baby was left in the "ruota" of the abandoned child on the day 6 september, possibly born two days before). The official gave her the first name Caterina and the last name Minerva. The birth act's date is 8 september 1885.
She was assigned to the declarant of the birth act, Rosa Maria Martinelli, age 60, Pia Ricevitrice dei Projetti (woman who was assigned to receive the abandoned child in the Wheel)

Marriage annotation: Caterina married Vito ?? on the day 14 october 1905.

Image here:
http://postimage.org/image/jgxj7w90/

Hope this helps...

Laura

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 30 Sep 2011, 12:13

Marriage act of Vito LORUSSO and Caterina MINERVA, Avigliano 14 october 1905 #101
Caterina was raised from Francesco LoRusso and Carminella Nardozzi, but no adopted; she had own birth surname in the marriage act..
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

anniebooEsposito

Postby anniebooEsposito » 30 Sep 2011, 14:58

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate this. I had found her birth record but I couldn't decipher it. My great-grandmother never knew what happened to her mother in Italy, why she was adopted, etc.
Thank you, Anne Marie

Return to “Italian Genealogy”