a Wonderful Journey

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
oilman19
Master
Master

a Wonderful Journey

Postby oilman19 » 14 Oct 2011, 15:27

One day I decided to pursue my Italian genealogical roots. I did not know the correct surname or the town of origin in Italy even though I had visited the country on more than 1 ocasion. I had no cooperation from cousins and my mother's generation had all passed on. My mother had little or no knowledge of her roots since she did not grow up in her family's household. I spent hours in the local public library looking for clues on Ancestry.com. Eventually I was able to piece together enough info to determine the correct surname(s) and their town of origin.
About this time, I found the IG forum on the internet. What I discovered were genealogists who were willing to help this novice to make some progress in finding his roots. I was provided with records I was unable to find, translations of many documents that I extracted from the FHC microfilms (I am able to do most translations on my own today), and guidance on many procedures and customs that were foreign to me.
I write this post today because I just returned from a visit to Santa Maria Capua Vetere, my ancestral hometown in Italy. I walked through the neighborhood of my ancestors, took pictures of the church where they were all baptized and married, perused the cemetary, and was able to do some research in town hall with the help of Joe Desimone, a genealogist who lives in Italy.
I could not, and would not have taken this journey without the help of so many wonderful posters on IG.
I would like to thank the many wonderful posters on this forum who have assisted me in so many ways. I am retiscent to list the individuals for fear of forgetting someone. This was both an enlightening and emotional journey into the past and I will never forget the many individuals who have guided me along the way. I had to share this wonderful experience with my friends on the forum.
I will continue to research my ancestral past for many years to come. And now I am able to create a picture in my mind of the places referred to in the many documents that I deal with.

I HUMBLY THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR TOLERANCE AND PATIENCE.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: a Wonderful Journey

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Oct 2011, 17:17

Hello Jim :-)

Che meraviglia!
So happy to have been but a small part of your "Wonderful Journey!"
Keep up the search and continue to keep us updated.

T.

pink67
Master
Master

Re: a Wonderful Journey

Postby pink67 » 15 Oct 2011, 09:32

I'm truly happy for you :D

Thank you for your kind appreciation and thanks

Laura

liviomoreno
Master
Master