Searching for Parents of James Carderella died in Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
missy322
Rookie
Rookie

Searching for Parents of James Carderella died in Sicily

Post by missy322 »

James Carderella was born in Sicily in about 1890-1900. His parents died in Sicily and his sisters brought him to the US when he was a young boy. He grew up in Louisiana I believe Tickfaw with another family. I believe his fathers name was Joseph but I don't know what his mother's name was. He had a sister named Annie. James's first daughter's name was Jennie and he kept to traditions so I believe this could possibly be his mothers name. I don't know when about he came to the US and the last name doesn't seem to be to common.

Thanks for any help.
musky

Re: Searching for Parents of James Carderella died in Sicily

Post by musky »

Missy,
My name is Joseph M. Muscarella, Son Of Joseph F. Muscarella of Boston
Mass, Son of Frank Muscarella of the North End of Boston.
His Father was Guiseppee Muscarella of Monte Maggiore Sicily.
I don't know if this helps but you can try Muscarella.com.
Lots of Fun reading about the Muscarella and the family tree.
Good Luck and let me know if I can be of any help.
Also try http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/
Regards,
Joe.
missy322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missy322 »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the Reply. My Great Grandmother was Francesca Muscarello. Her dad was Salvatore Muscarello he came from Sicily I believe Cerda but am not sure in about 1901 or 1902. I believe he had a brother named Nicholas. I believe his parents names were Epifanio Muscarello and Carmella. I believe one of Salvatore's brothers kids settled in New York and the other one went to Louisiana. I'm not sure if they had any other siblings. Please let me know if anything sounds familiar.

Thank you,

Melissa
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

http://img122.exs.cx/img122/2400/France.jpg

http://img122.exs.cx/img122/832/Sis.jpg

:P :?:

The place in Italy - Campofelice?

(Caserta) CAMPO FELICE ....Gina...(Jenny?)

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Re: Epifanio.... his brother is Vincenzo... the same Vincenzo who brought his mother Francesca Giovanna (a widow) to the USA...

I know there's more info on the other names you mentioned on the other post... (Buggia... Caradella from Sora ...) (even James sister Anna) There's a lot of info to be found on the Ellis Island manifests... and you may not even need the Louisiana manifests (that are not published online....) and boy are my eyes tired....:roll: too many name variations... for one person... all these people are connected... and need to be sorted out... James Cardarella (another Vincenzo) may have been a little older than earlier suggested?

First Name: Epifanio
Last Name: Muscarella
Ethnicity: Italy Italian So.
Last Place of Residence: Campofelice
Date of Arrival: May 18, 1904
Age at Arrival:  25y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Konig Albert
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0017
See http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2528080167

First Name: Francesca Giovanna (Francis, Gina, Jenny...)
Last Name: Muscarella
Ethnicity: Italian, South
Last Place of Residence: Pittsburg, Pa.
Date of Arrival: April 12, 1914
Age at Arrival:  51y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  W  
Ship of Travel: Kaiser Franz Josef I
Port of Departure: Palermo
Manifest Line Number: 0004

it mentions on one the manifests that she was in USA in 1905-1913...

Hope this helps...mfjp :wink: :!:
missy322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missy322 »

Francesca Muscarello in previous post could be a sister of Salvatore. My great grandmother Francesca Muscarello was born in 1898 in Mezzojusa from what her SS application said. I believe she came to the US in 1901 or 1902 and lived in Louisiana.

Epifanio is the right age but his mother was Vincenza(Virginia) and they were headed to Louisiana.

Francesca Muscarella (DOB 1/27/1898) was born in Mezzojuso and came to the US in 1901 or 1902. She had 4 siblings; Stefano, Epifanio, Carmella, and Nick. They all mostly lived in Louisiana except for Nick and he moved to Chicago, IL. Their parents were Salvatore Muscarello (Apprx DOB 1850 DOD 1927) and Vincenza Pravata (Virginia Bravata) (Appx. DOB 1854 & DOD 1915). I believe Salvatore's parents names were Epifanio and Carmella. Wow that's a lot. Boy does it get cofusing.

I bet your eyes are tired. Those manifests are something else to look at. Thank you so much for your help.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Mezzojuso and Campofelice (Campofelice Di Fitalia) are towns next to each other in Palermo...

Either way... as mentioned all these names need to be sorted out, and they will... the main thing here is you've got a great location in Italy to work with... :D

At this stage, you could write a letter to either town... or maybe someone else can suggest where to. :?:

I truly enjoy looking at the manifests... there's always a surprise somewhere.....
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

missy322 wrote:James Carderella was born in Sicily in about 1890-1900. His parents died in Sicily and his sisters brought him to the US when he was a young boy. He grew up in Louisiana I believe Tickfaw with another family. I believe his fathers name was Joseph but I don't know what his mother's name was. He had a sister named Annie. James's first daughter's name was Jennie and he kept to traditions so I believe this could possibly be his mothers name. I don't know when about he came to the US and the last name doesn't seem to be to common.

Thanks for any help.
Hi: most probable Tickfaw.. why
JOSEPH PAUL CARDERELLA
INDEPENDENCE - Jospeh Paul Carderella, 70, died Friday, Aug. 10, 2001, at Lallie Kemp
Regional Medical Center.
He was a native of Tickfaw.
Survivors include two daughters, Rose Carderella Passman of Hammond and Frances
Carderella of Texas; two sisters, Carmie Reed and Jennie Kelley, both of Round Lake
Beach, Ill.; one brother, Tony Carderella of Queen Creek, Ariz.; three grandchildren and
two great-grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents, James and Frances Muscarello Carderella; two
sisters, Virginia Ducoine and Josie Simmons; and his twin brother, Sam Carderella.
Visitation will be today at Harry McKneely & Son Funeral Home, Hammond, from 6 to 10
p.m. and Monday from 8 a.m. until the funeral at 10:30. Burial will be in Tickfaw Catholic
Cemetery.

http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la ... ar0801.txt
but are interesting that an Bernardina Carderella age 15(probable Cardarella exact spelling), and born in 1888 was married in New Orleans-Orleans Parish in 1904 also with an italian of age 21 Calogero Scorscone(probable surname mistaken)..
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/la ... 04mgoz.txt

this data are important why in Louisiana the italian people was sicilians, and in relationships, or of same birthplace....
regards, suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

missy322 wrote:Francesca Muscarello in previous post could be a sister of Salvatore. My great grandmother Francesca Muscarello was born in 1898 in Mezzojusa from what her SS application said. I believe she came to the US in 1901 or 1902 and lived in Louisiana.

Epifanio is the right age but his mother was Vincenza(Virginia) and they were headed to Louisiana.

Francesca Muscarella (DOB 1/27/1898) was born in Mezzojuso and came to the US in 1901 or 1902. She had 4 siblings; Stefano, Epifanio, Carmella, and Nick. They all mostly lived in Louisiana except for Nick and he moved to Chicago, IL. Their parents were Salvatore Muscarello (Apprx DOB 1850 DOD 1927) and Vincenza Pravata (Virginia Bravata) (Appx. DOB 1854 & DOD 1915). I believe Salvatore's parents names were Epifanio and Carmella. Wow that's a lot. Boy does it get cofusing.

I bet your eyes are tired. Those manifests are something else to look at. Thank you so much for your help.
About Salvatore, really born in MEZZOJUSO exact spelling:

Mirto, Salvatore; 44 years; Male; Married; Farmlaborer; Not
able to read and write; Citizen and Race: Italy, South; Last
residence: Palermo, Mezzouiso; Nearest relative: wife
DiChiara, Francesca; Destination: La., Dickson; No ticket;
Passage paid by: Self; In possession of: $42.00; In U.S.
1902/1906 N.O.; Joining: cousin Salvatore Muscarello,
Tickfaw, La.;
Never in prison, almshouse, institution, or
supported by charity; Not a Polygamist or Anarchist; Not
coming by reason of column 22; Health: Good; Not deformed
or crippled; Height: 5 feet 6 inches; Complexion: Rosy; Hair
and Eyes: Chestnut; No identifying mark; Place of birth:
Palermo, Mezzouiso

SS Liguria Departing Palermo, Sicily, Italy
18 September 1910
Arriving at Port of New Orleans
7 October 1910
-------------------
and more:
Muscarello, Carmela; 25 years; Female; Married; Housewife; Not able
to read and write; Citizen and Race: Italy, South; Last residence: La.,
Tickfaw; Nearest relative: mother Namio, Elisabetta, Caulonia;
Destination: La., Tickfaw; No ticket; Passage paid by: no entry; In
possession of: no entry; In U.S. 1895/1910 Tickfaw, La.; Joining:
father-in-law Moccarello, Salvatore, Tickfaw, La.;
Never in prison,
almshouse, institution, or supported by charity; Not a Polygamist or
Anarchist; Not coming by reason of column 22; Health: Good, Not
deformed or crippled; Height: 5 feet 4 inches; Complexion: Rosy; Hair
and Eyes: Chestnut; No identifying mark; Place of birth: Palermo
Mezzoiuso

------suanj
missy322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missy322 »

So, Salvatore Mirto is married to Francesca Giovanna but when she came over she said her last name was Muscarella so did they all change their name when they came over?
missy322
Rookie
Rookie

Post by missy322 »

Joseph Paul Carderella was my grandmother's brother so he is related to me.
:lol:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

missy322 wrote:So, Salvatore Mirto is married to Francesca Giovanna but when she came over she said her last name was Muscarella so did they all change their name when they came over?
NO: Salvatore Mirto, cousin of Salvatore Muscarello/a is married with Francesca Di Chiara.
Regards, suanj