Searching for information about my grandmother

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Cristina319

Searching for information about my grandmother

Postby Cristina319 » 23 Oct 2011, 23:58

Good afternoon.
I'm a writer and memoirist, and I'm in the process or doing research for a book about my maternal grandmother and her journey to the US.

My grandparents were born in Pettorano sul Gizio, Abruzzo, and I've been there twice to see what information I could find out. I've located my grandfather's house and relatives on his side. On Gram's side, I've found very little.

This is what I know: My grandmother was born Maria Liberata Crugnale on 2 May, 1885, in the area of Pettorano known as ValleLarga. Her father was Antonio Crugnale, and her mother died giving birth. Gram was the youngest of 5 and had a sister Teresa and brothers Matteo and Pietro. I don't know the other names. I also don't know her real mother's name. I know that her Aunt Marguerita Ventresca adopted and raised Gram.

Her brothers arranged the marriage with my grandfather, Donato Berarducci, and they were supposedly married by proxy in the town church before Gram left for the States. They remarried in Ohio once she arrived.

Here's what I can't find out but would love to know (if anyone could lead me in any direction):

1- Who was my great-grandmother. When I was in Pettorano the first time, the clerk told me it was Marguerita Ventresca. I know that she was Gram's aunt, not mother. The clerk said that since she took Gram since Gram's mother died, Zia might have been listed as the mother officially.

2- Were my grandparents actually married by proxy? How do I find that out? The same clerk told me that no records of a marriage between the two exists.

When we went back this year, the clerk was quite short with me. She asked me why it was so important since it happened so long ago.

It's important to me because Liberata was my grandmother and because I want to know and because I'm writing this book and because I love my heritage. Sigh.

Any thoughts?

Grazie mille,
Cristina

pink67
Master
Master

Re: Searching for information about my grandmother

Postby pink67 » 24 Oct 2011, 14:26

2- Were my grandparents actually married by proxy? How do I find that out? The same clerk told me that no records of a marriage between the two exists.

At the time of her 1906 arrival Liberata was single and stated she was going to meet her int (intended) husband Berarducci Donato in Marble Cliff.

1906 arrival image from Ellisisland.org:

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0002

from Familysearch.org the marriage record:

Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958

Groom's Name: Donato Berardeuci
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Liberata Crogualo
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 19 Nov 1906
Marriage Place: Franklin, Ohio
Groom's Father's Name: Domenico
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name: Anthony Crogualo
Bride's Mother's Name: Ventresca

Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M02022-2
System Origin: Ohio-ODM
Source Film Number: 285163
Reference Number:

I believe the clerk is right, there was no reason to be married twice...

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 24 Oct 2011, 14:52

1- Who was my great-grandmother. When I was in Pettorano the first time, the clerk told me it was Marguerita Ventresca. I know that she was Gram's aunt, not mother. The clerk said that since she took Gram since Gram's mother died, Zia might have been listed as the mother officially.

You have to ask to the town hall clerk the "Estratto per copia integrale dell'Atto di Nascita di Maria Liberata Crugnale, nata il 2 maggio 1885, completo di eventuali annotazioni"

This document usually is a photocopy of the original birth act (or, at least a transcription of the entire act), so you'll see her mother maiden name and age, the address of the birth, the occupation of both parents etc.... if she married in Italy there must be also the annotation of the marriage...

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 29 Jan 2012, 18:08

From the Ancestry.com website:

1910 United States Federal Census

Donatt Beradm
[Donato Beradna]
[Donatt Berad??]
Age in 1910: 32
Birth Year 1878
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Perry, Franklin, Ohio
Race White
Immigration Year: 1902
Relation to Head of House: Head[Self (Head)]
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Labra Beradm
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Donatt Beradm 32 head, born in Italy
Labra Beradm 25 wife, born in Italy
Antino Beradm 1 8/12 [1] daughter born in OH
Antinoe Beradm 2 son, born in OH

Laura

pink67
Master
Master

Postby pink67 » 29 Jan 2012, 19:19

Cristina,

the image from the birth register for Antonina Berarducci the first child born:

from Familysearch.org:

Ohio, County Births, 1856-1909

Name: Altonina Boraducci
Titles & Terms:
Event: Birth
Event Date: 10 Jun 1907
Event Place: Perry, Franklin, Ohio
Registration Date:
Registration Place:
Race:
Father: Seonato Borarducci
Father's Titles & Terms:
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother: Crugnano Siberata
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Additional Relatives:
Reference Number:
Film Number: 285137
Digital Folder Number: 4016214
Image Number: 728

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1932106

Laura

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 29 Jan 2012, 19:35

First, you know the name and birthdate and have every right to a copy of the original birth act which will tell you her mother's name. Since you know her mother died and she was raised by an aunt then you can ask for a copy of the death record of her mother.
If they were married by proxy before she left for America there would be a record. I have seen records of proxy marriages so I know they exist.
It is also possible to obtain the names of her siblings. To be fair these clerks have many duties and you may have caught her on a bad day. You have a right to the information.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Cristina319

Postby Cristina319 » 29 Jan 2012, 23:44

Oh, my goodness. Thank you all so much. I cannot believe you can find these things. I wish I could hug you all.

Chris

Return to “Italian Genealogy”