LaMoglia/Moore Family search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jfalduti

LaMoglia/Moore Family search

Postby jfalduti » 28 Oct 2011, 23:38

Hello, I would love some suggestions as I have hit a wall and don't know how best to proceed.

I am looking for my great-grandmother's family, and specifically her birthplace.

The true family name from Italy is LaMoglia. However, when they were in the US they used the last name Moore, especially on official civil documents. On church documents they used LaMoglia. However, they seem to have switched back and forth between the two. Census documents use LaMoglia, and their headstone says LaMoglio, however my grandfather's birth certificate says his mother's name is Mary Moore, and her civil marriage certificate says Mary Moore.

Her father, Salvatore LaMoglia, was born in Italy approximately 1869 and came to the US in 1889. He married Isabella (maiden name unknown) in 1893. Their first son, Thomas, was born approximately 1893. Thomas's WWI draft card (under the name Thomas Moore) indicates he was was born in "Pottersville, PA".

Mary (or Maria) was born in 1895, also in PA. Her husband's naturalization papers state she was born in Dunbar, PA on Sep 7, 1895.

The family moved to NJ, eventually ending up living in Nutley, NJ. Mary married my great-grandfather, Giuseppe (Joseph) Falduti in 1912. She died in 1930 (after the 1930 census was taken).

Those in my family seem to recall that side of the family residing in Mauch Chunk (now Jim Thorpe) or Nesquehoning, PA. Carbon County Court had no record of her birth or her parents' marriage.

Dunbar, PA is in Fayette County. They also produced no records.

I first googled Pottersville, PA and came up with Pottsville, PA in Schulykill County. They also had no records.

There apparently was a Pottersville, PA in Butler County. I am in the process of requesting a search from the Butler County Court.

I requested naturalization documents for Salvatore LaMoglia/Moore through USCIS and they had nothing. I do not know where in Italy Salvatore or Isabella came from.

Is there any other resource (I've tapped out Ancestry.com) that I could use to try and find these records.

Thank you so much for any suggestions!

Michael31
Master
Master

Re: LaMoglia/Moore Family search

Postby Michael31 » 07 Nov 2011, 17:38

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: LaMoglia/Moore Family search

Postby adelfio » 08 Nov 2011, 14:51

Related thread by Suanj
topic23595.html#p171579
Suanji did give a good lead on the christening record in New Jersey
Name:Vito Lamoglie
Birth Date:abt 1898
Christening Date:6 Mar 1898
Christening Place:Sacred Heart-Catholic, Bloomfield, Essex, New Jersey
Father's Name:Salvatore Lamoglie
Mother's Name:Isabella Fedena
FHL Film Number:1378248

Could call or write Sacred Heart-Catholic, Bloomfield, Essex, New Jersey get the record sometimes on church records they list where the parents town they came from in Italy

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Return to “Italian Genealogy”