Looking for Caira relatives in Atina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JPCaira

Looking for Caira relatives in Atina

Postby JPCaira » 06 Nov 2011, 15:38

I am trying to locate relatives in Atina (I will be visiting there in a couple of weeks). My great-grandfather was Domenico Caira (b. abt 1874). He was married to Angela (b. abt 1873). They had six sons. Domenico came to America in 1911 and Angela followed with five of the sons in 1920. They settled in Newton, MA. I understand that Caira is a fairly common name in Atina, but I am hoping there some cousins out there. Also, I know there is a small village named Caira, but all of the records indicate my family is from Atina. Thanks for any help with this.

acairo

Re: Looking for Caira relatives in Atina

Postby acairo » 08 Feb 2012, 00:48

Hey,
Did you have any luck finding family in Atina? I went there in October but did not have enough time to locate family. My great grandfather was Giuseppe Caira. He was born in 1881 and came to Detroit from Villa Latina in 1909. Villa Latina is right next to Atina. I have a list of his siblings names and Domenico is not one of them. Domenico was probably a cousin to my great grandfather Giuseppe. Giuseppe's father was Antonio Caira, also from Villa Latina. I have more info if you're interested...

Found this on Domenico. Looks like he came in from Canada in 1914.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XPMW-2M5

acairo

Postby acairo » 13 Feb 2012, 02:50

CORRECTION:
Looks like my great grandfather, Giuseppe, did have a brother Domenico.

Here is a list of the siblings-
Children of Antonio Caira and Carmela Valerio:
Domenico
Giovanni
Giuseppe b. 1881
Rosa b. 1885
Pasquale
Pietro
Angela Antonia b. 1888
Maria
Luigi b. 1895

ginap
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ginap » 15 Feb 2012, 09:49

Hi, I had a lady contact me about her father Caira he was from Atina he came to England I do believe that one of his sons is a police man, I have contact details if you wish .
Pm me

JPCaira

Postby JPCaira » 17 Jul 2014, 23:01

Hi,
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't able to get any additional information about my family while I was in Atina, but I saw several people who looked like they could have been related to me. Thanks for the link to Domenico. It sounds like my great-grandfather, but I'm almost sure he came through Ellis Island.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”