where do I begin? I only have a name?!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bjjross

where do I begin? I only have a name?!

Postby bjjross » 12 Nov 2011, 23:09

I have just started my ancestry journey on my husband's mother's side because I have been putting it off because her grandmother/father were Italian immigrants. All I have are names and an "i think" of where they came from. I speak not one word of italian and can't afford to have someone do this for me...HELP!! ANY and ALL suggestions will be appreciated!

BMartino

Re: where do I begin? I only have a name?!

Postby BMartino » 13 Nov 2011, 13:33

Hi,
You can do it, it might just take some hard work and perseverance! :D
You have names.... first and last? You have a general idea of where they came from you say?
You can try to determine approximately when they were born by when their children were born. If you know definite number of children and how old they are work with that. Say if there were 3 children and the oldest is 46, he/she would have been born about 1984, and the mother may have been born about 1959-1964. This is just an example but do you see what I mean?
I have always done all my own research. Yes, it can be tough at times, and frustrating, but it is worth it when I find people! I do have a world membership to Ancestry.com, if you can afford it, it is well worth it. Even if you just joined for a couple of months and really worked hard, then you could cancel it. I do know that when I need a researcher, which eventually I will, there are some right here on this forum that I would hire without a doubt!
Through a tip I heard about on there, and seeing that they had their civil records on the site, I found this group here, who then helped me to find those records on Ancestry, and have been helping me with translation! I am slowly learning Italian myself and am better able to translate them on my own now, but I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am to the people who helped me out here!! :D
So anyway, first post all the information you can- names, where you think they came from and approximate times of birth, and see what happens!
Researching: Martino, Zona, Pitocchi, Pamieri in the Calvi Risorta area

BMartino

Postby BMartino » 13 Nov 2011, 13:44

Oh yes, and keep in mind that in all likelihood your ancestors followed Italian naming traditions- first born sons named after paternal grandfather, and first born daughters named after paternal grandmother. This helped me out a lot, and really was true for the most part!
Researching: Martino, Zona, Pitocchi, Pamieri in the Calvi Risorta area

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 13 Nov 2011, 15:51

Welcome to the forum! :-D

By all means, post what you know about them...
Including - first and last names, approximate dates of birth, place of birth (even a guess or from family stories), approx. year(s) of immigration, where they settled, and names of children...

We'll give it our best shot! :-)

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”