Ship Record Confusion

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Ship Record Confusion

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 14 Nov 2011, 15:49

Hello,
I have posted before and everyone was very helpful but I have a few more questions
that i hope someone can help me with. My great grand father Vincenzo Bagatin(Bagattin) left his wife in Sept 1923 to go to Baston Mass. to visit his wife's uncle Barry Davidson.
I then found a ship manifest for my great grand mother Florence Bagatin(Bagattin) age 19 yrs in Dec of 1923 going to the U.S to see her husband Vincenzo Bagatin(Bagattin) cant make out where her final destination is, just that it is a hotel somewhere. The real confusion is that she is traveling with 2 small children Florence age 2 and Phillip age 4 months old. No-one in the family seems to know who these children are. The record says they are going to see thier father, the passage was paid for by vincenzo himself. I cant find any other records for when they returned to Canada. I know that these are the right people but how can i find out what happened to them? Did something happen and they didn't return with them and thats why no family has ever heard of them?
does anyone have any ideas as to where to look next? I am the only person that has any intrest in tracing this side of the family so i have no where else to turn for answers
Attached is the ship record for the children Lines 7 and 8. maybe making out where they went will lead me further in my search.
Thanks to all that can help me.

folrence 1.jpg

2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Italy80

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ship Record Confusion

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 16:08

The word under father in the destination column looks like "Cottage" - the second word could be Hotel, but I'm not convinced...

As for children, especially young children, who immigrated...I have found many instances where the children do not show up in later censuses, so my thoughts are that they died. The journey was a difficult one for adults, but for a 4 month-old and a 2 year old - one can only image :(

Have you tried finding death records?

T.

princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 14 Nov 2011, 16:26

Hello T,
I have tried to find birth records, death records and have found nothing as of yet. On the ship record for florence the mother i cant make out the first word but the 2nd looks like Hotel. I will post that record. Can you tell as to where thier final destanation is to?
florence mom 1.jpg

mom2.jpg

She is on line 20
Sorry T :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Italy80

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 16:36

You posted page two of the mother's manifest, but I don't know what line she's on? :-)

OK - line 20?
She is going to husband Vincenzo at Cottage/College Hotel - no city named - is it stated on page one?

Looking at the children again, their last address (column 11) is Halifax, Nova Scotia.
Their relative there (column 12) is grandmother, Minnie Davidson, 92 Argyle St., Nova Scotia --- destination: father Vincenzo, Cottage Hxxxxd ---- of course this is if I'm looking at the correct children - Florence, 2, and Philip 4 mo. Bagatin

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 16:47

Looks like her final destination is "Florence"

T.

princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 14 Nov 2011, 16:50

Italy?
Italy80

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 16:52

I'm thinking Florence, Canada (in Ontario Provice) :-)

There is such a place southwest of London, Canada
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=62 ... country=CA

EDIT:
Looks like there is also a Florence, Nova Scotia, Canada (which makes more sense)
:-)
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-e ... /tpod.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence,_Nova_Scotia

Do you think it's just a coincidence that wife and child are also named FLORENCE?
On their manifest, the children's place of birth is listed as Halifax, Nova Scotia.
What kind of work did Vincenzo do?

T.

carinthiangirl
Veteran
Veteran

Postby carinthiangirl » 14 Nov 2011, 17:04

it looks like Battage or Cottage Hotel at other like Bellage Hotel or so.
and final destination looks for me also like Florence.
Italy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence
(why not Italy? they have an italian name...)
Canada: http://travelingluck.com/North%20Americ ... #local_map

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 17:22

Is there a possibility that they needed to sail to US to embark on a ship to Italy?
Unfortunately, there are no "outgoing" manifests to verify this... :(

T.

princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 14 Nov 2011, 17:31

Tessa78 wrote:I'm thinking Florence, Canada (in Ontario Provice) :-)

There is such a place southwest of London, Canada
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?address=62 ... country=CA

EDIT:
Looks like there is also a Florence, Nova Scotia, Canada (which makes more sense)
:-)
http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-e ... /tpod.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence,_Nova_Scotia

Do you think it's just a coincidence that wife and child are also named FLORENCE?
On their manifest, the children's place of birth is listed as Halifax, Nova Scotia.
What kind of work did Vincenzo do?

T.

Hi T,
I thought the ship record was for florence leaving the port of halifax and applying for addmission into the U.S. All of vincenzo and florence's children were all from halifax nova scotia. Vincenzo was a Brick Layer. in an ship record vincenzo was going to see florence's uncle in boston mass. just 3 months before she left with the children. Could there be a town named florence in mass. near boston where vincenzo was going to. I haven't been able to find any info on barry davidson other than a canadian census record when he was a child. so many possiblities
Italy80

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 17:40

Yes, there is a Florence, MA - toward the western part...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence,_Massachusetts

I'll see what I can find on Barry Davidson :-)
Can you post Vincenzo's manifest?
Based on the Canada census, what year was Barry born? Parents' names?
Was residence in Nova Scotia?

T.

princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:16

vincenzo.jpg

vincenzo 2.jpg

The info from the cenus says he was born in 1887 in
Moncton NewBrunswick Canada. He is the son of William Davidson and Kate.
His brothers name which is florence's father was Charles Tupper Davidson.
Italy80

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:21

Here is an interesting US Census record...

IF this is Florence and her parents... they may have lived in the Boston Area.
1910 US Census - Boston MA -

Charles T. Davidson, 27, carpenter, born Canada
Minnie Davidson, 25, born Canada (this was name listed as grandmother on children's manifest)
Florence Davidson, 4, born Canada (age is right)

They were living on Sherry St. BUT - the street above them on the census is FLORENCE St. :-) Maybe uncle Barry was living somewhere on Florence St.? Now THAT would be something! Quite the coincidence...

T.

princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Postby princessbubbles_1 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:41

Yes this is the right family they lived in the U.S for a few years. then came back. This family time line is so very confusing to try and follow. thank you so very much for your help.
Italy80

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 14 Nov 2011, 18:47

The images you posted above are not the Canada Census :-(
Could you try again?
I was just wondering about Barry and if there was the possibility that he had a different first name? or middle?

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”