Spadafora of Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bellabella1946

Re: Spadafora of Calabria

Post by bellabella1946 »

Angeline: my great aunt, Angeline Spadafore, was born in Shinnson, WV in 1912. I also noticed that she married a Frank Russo or Rose in 1930 at age 18. Also, they had a son in 1932 perhaps named John? I stated before that one of Angeline's daughters was Rose Russo which would be impossible because Rose was born in 1920. My dad, Frank Pulice, always told us that his cousin, Rose Russo Iaqinta's mother was his aunt Angeline....surely NOT at age 8. This is all confusing. I have done a lot of genealogy on the Spadafore and Pulice family and Angeline always has been a mystery. So very anxious to hear from you. maryann2546@aol.com
Angeline1956

Post by Angeline1956 »

Hi Mary Ann,

Sorry it's taking me so long to respond.

My grandmother was Angeline and it's possible she could have also been called Angel. I was named after her, and when I was small I had an aunt who always called me Angel.

My grandfather was Frank Rose, Jr. His first wife was Angeline, my grandmother. She died when my father, John, was very young. I think he was around 10 years old at the time. Later my grandfather remarried Lorraine (Doris) Bennett and they both adopted me when I was very young.

When I was a teenager I remember visiting some Iaquinta's, who lived around Lumberport, WV (this would have been in the 1970's).

There were also some Oliverio's that were relatives I think, maybe on my grandfather's side. And for some reason I always thought that Angeline had a sister named Catherine, but could be wrong.

Looking forward to learing more. :)
bellabella1946

Post by bellabella1946 »

Hello Angel: I finally tracked down some of your relatives on FB because I wanted to talk to you. My dad's aunt, Angel/Angeline, has always been a mystery to us. My dad's mom was Angel's oldest sister, Mary Rose, who was born in Calabria and came over to USA when she was about 3 or 4. She was the only child born in Italy; the rest in West Virginia. Some of her siblings were Frank and John (twins who owned a restaurant in Shinnston), Victoria (who later married a Patsy Romano and they resided in Clarksburg), Angel/Angeline, Mary and many more. Their parents were Patsy/Pasquale and Rosa Romano Spadafore. My dad told me that Angel left her husband and moved to NY city where she died young, either in NY or NJ, and she was found in a boxcar. I believe she did remarry in NJ. I can't find anything on her death because if she did remarry, I have no clue as to her married name. I have a postcard from WWII that my dad sent to Angel Spadafore and the address was NY city. Now my parents are dead and I have nobody to ask questions about her. My search shows that she was born in 1912 and married at 18 to Frank Rose Jr., I believe, and they had a son in 1931 or '32 named John. My grandma, Mary Rose, had 11 children and her first born was Catherine; my dad, Frank, was second born. Mary Rose's husband, Patsy/Pasquale Pulice, committed suicide in 1937; Mary Rose was pregnant at the time with her last child, Jim. They all moved to Detroit around '42 for better job opportunities. My mom and dad, Frank and Betty Moore Pulice were both from Shinnston. They married in '42 and also moved to Detroit. My mom, dad, brother and I vacationed in Shinnston every summer for 2 weeks. This was in the 50's and early 60's. My mom still had family there and also my dad had cousins and aunts, uncles who we would see also. Fond memories of Shinnston. I will write more later and pls keep in touch. Would like to hear back from you soon. Thanks for responding. Where do you live? I am on Facebook and I asked Patty Oldaker Rose to find you for me. Hope to hear from you soon.
Angeline1956

Post by Angeline1956 »

Hi again Mary Ann,

I will email you on the email address you listed on here. I don't have a lot of information regarding my grandmother Angeline, but have a lot with father John :)
Breezing23

Post by Breezing23 »

Hi,

My great grandfather was named Pasquale Spadafora, not sure of birth date, he got married to Rosalea Bofanno, in Gurmento Nova, Potenza, Basilicata, italy which is just up from cosenza, could this be the same Pasquale??
bellabella1946

Post by bellabella1946 »

No. My great-grandpa, Pasquale Spadafore, was born in Calabria and came over to USA around 1910, settled in West Virginia. He was married to Rosa Romano.
Angeline1956

Post by Angeline1956 »

Hi Jeremy,

The people you mentioned were my great great grandparents. They were the parents of Pasquale Spadafore who married Rosa Romano. They both lived in West Virginia.

Regards
Angie