DiSabato

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
disabato

DiSabato

Postby disabato » 19 Nov 2011, 21:16

Hello from Ohio!

Recently, I have become very interested in acquiring more information about my family's Italian history. I do know some information, but I was wondering if anyone could help me dig a litter bit deeper into the past.

I'll start with what I do know:

My great-grandfather, Paulo (or Paolo?) DiSabato, (later known as Paul Saturday) came to America on 26 February 1913. From what I understand, he was from Matrice. I have the 1913 ship manifest, along with his WWI and WWII draft registration cards.

He came to North Kingsville, Ohio to start his family. From what I understand, Paul worked on the railroad. My family has been on the same property ever since. Paul married Mary Vendetti (don't know much about Mary or her family) and they had 6 children. This is where it starts to get a little interesting to me. 5 of his children carried the same name throughout their entire lives (Florence, Carmel, Anthony, Anna (Annie?) Mary (Mary-Lou?)) One of his sons is listed on the 1930 US census as "Chriscendo Saturday." This is my father's dad (my grandfather.) Though, his entire life, he was known as Dominic C. Saturday. He died before I was born. I am thinking that it is quite possible that he switched his first and middle names? I have had trouble finding a lot more information because of the name changes that happened.

I am also concerned about Paul's father. I have been told that its possible that his name was "Chriscendo" (or Chriscenzo)?

The information that I do know is very little considering how much information exists.

Many of my relatives know very little about our family's history, and I am worried that if I don't find out more information, all of this precious history will be forgotten.

Also, I have though about sending away to Italy so I can get Paul or his father's birth certificate. How would I do this?

I don't know much about researching my family's past? Tips, tricks, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dominic Saturday

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: DiSabato

Postby suanj » 20 Nov 2011, 17:58

hi, in the ship's manifest, Paolo DI SABATO father was Crescenzo DI SABATO in Matrice.. so Paul's father first name was Crescenzo..
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

disabato

Postby disabato » 20 Nov 2011, 18:07

So, I'm guessing that the 1930 census has my grandfather listed under the wrong name. I would have to imagine that Paul named him after his father "Chriscenzo" and not "Chriscendo."

????

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 20 Nov 2011, 21:15

most probably, who wrote the census... it wrote the first name wrong...
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 20 Nov 2011, 23:44

Hi Dominic,

Now that suanj has helped you determine the name of your GGF and his father's name, you can write directly to Matrice (if you are certain this is the place of birth) to request their birth records. You must write in Italian and give information about their approximate birthdates.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza dei Caduti, 26
86030 Matrice (CB)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian...
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

Good Luck!

T.

PS - I'm sure you realize that "sabato" means Saturday :-)

disabato

Postby disabato » 21 Nov 2011, 05:55

Tessa,

Yes haha! I can remember when I was very little (maybe 5) my parents would tell me the story of our family's name. It isn't until recently that I've taken interest in my Italian history.

It really is a shame that my GGF Paul changed the last name. How cool would it be if my name were Dominic DiSabato?!

Anyways, I've heard other stories about name changes. One day, an old man was riding his bike down our road. He stopped at our house and asked to talk for a while. When we got to talking, he told us the reason he stopped was because he used to work at our house. It used to be a feed mill many years ago! He told us how he could remember back when he was young how he used to carry bags of grain up to the second story of our house. He also said he knew some things about my GGF Paul and his wife/her family. His wife was a Vendetti and he said that even though her last name was Vendetti, many people in her family went by the last name "Windy." I don't know why. Supposedly, my great great uncle Giacinto (as it appears on the census) Vendetti (although I've heard it pronounced more like Giacente gia-cent-e) went by the name of "Bill Windy." The old man told us about how he was there when he bought a 1930 peerless for only a couple hundred bucks. That same car is in my garage today! I can only imagine how many cool stories are out there like this, but unfortunately, many of my relatives have either passed, or don't know much about our family's past.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 26 Nov 2011, 01:19

What wonderful stories! :-)

You will learn more...just keep at it.
You might even make contact with relatives in Italy!

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”