Surname Additions like La, Di, Lo, etc.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Surname Additions like La, Di, Lo, etc.

Postby amerital43 » 27 Nov 2011, 01:20

I was wondering if anyone can answer why sometimes there is a prefix put to a surname?
In researching my family, I have a name that stands on its own but then when my bisnonna is adult, getting married, her name was was written La-----, as were her brothers. Her father who passed 20 years earlier Does Not have 'La' in front of his surname, nor does any of his siblings. Even when his widow re-married his name wasn't written with the prefix. Why would his children? Thanks.

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Surname Additions like La, Di, Lo, etc.

Postby liviomoreno » 27 Nov 2011, 07:24

Generally speaking La, Di, Lo etc are not prefixes bur are integral part of the surname: Giovanni Lo Russo and Giovanni Russo are two different persons. Some times the Lo, or Di, or La, was lost when people emigrated to USA...

amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Surname Additions like La, Di, Lo, etc.

Postby amerital43 » 27 Nov 2011, 16:38

Giovanni Lo Russo and Giovanni Russo are two different persons.

While I agree with your statement, this branch of the family never emigrated out of Italy. I have documents connecting the generations showing that La----- is not being used. It is after she is married that my bisnonna's name alternates on her children's birth records. I was wondering if this was a way to honor her father's name or family as he died when she was very small?

Return to “Italian Genealogy”