Does anyone know of Italians with the surname Corsinato?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: Does anyone know of Italians with the surname Corsinato?

Post by JohnArmellino »

Hi Jean - Believe it or not, I'm at my FHC right now and I just found your grandmother's birth record. I'll post the details later when I get home.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

Angela Corsinato was found in the ruota di proietti (the foundlings' home; colloquially, "the wheel") at noon on 30 JAN 1888. The child appeared to be newborn and was dressed in swaddling clothes, without any token or other sign to identify her. Gaetana Felicita, ricevitrice dei proietti (literally, receiver of foundlings), presented the child to the town authorities and the child was given the name Angela Corsinato. She was placed in the care of wet nurse Annamaria Barletta, wife of Francesco Viscardi. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733191/Atti di Nascita 1888/Parte II/No. 14, 30 JAN 1888.

Francesco Viscardo (born about 06 JUN 1857 in Campobasso) was also a foundling. Although he is identified as "Viscardi" on your grandmother's birth record and is also known as Francesco Paolo or Francescopaolo on other records, his birth record states that he was given the name Francesco Viscardo. Your grandmother's wet nurse is identified as Annamaria Barletta on your grandmother's birth record. However, on her marriage record she is identified as Anna Maria Valletta. This surname is not indigenous to Campobasso and throughout the civil records it varies in spelling between Valletta, Barletta, Barletti, and even Galletto. However, I believe that Valletta is correct because Anna Maria's Great Grandfather Nicola Valletta was born in Baranello circa 1768 and the established spelling today in Baranello is Valletta. Baranello is probably the town of origin although Nicola Valletta died in Larino in 1834.

Angelina Corsinato and Vincenzo Santoro were married in Madonna della Libera Parish on 24 APR 1910 by the Rev. Domenico Fraia (aka Domenic Fraja), who was then serving as Pastor of Madonna della Libera. They were residing in West New York at the time. The witnesses were Flaviano Stanzione and Assunta Ferrante. Source: Catholic Church. Madonna della Libera (West New York, New Jersey), Parish Records, 1901-1917 (Salt Lake City: Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1984), FHL Film 1403468/MARRIAGES 1910/#142, 24 APR 1910.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

@ Raffaella - You were right. Anna Maria Valletta was wet nurse to Angela Corsinato and it appears that she and her husband Francesco Viscardo raised her.
John Armellino
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

thanks John!
You are wonderful!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Jean Galata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jean Galata »

To John Armellino
John, you are wonderful!!!! I can't believe all the information you have found for my family and me.
Thank you ever so much.
Jean Galata
Jean Galata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jean Galata »

To John Armellino
Thank you so very much. The circumstances of her birth are in line with what my mother always told us, but others denied. I am so happy to hear about the family who cared for my grandmother all those years. I know they loved her because her "adopted" mother requested she prepare her for burial upon her death - even though she had children of her own. It is sad to learn that no token was placed with her when she was placed in the "wheel." That was so final--no hope of claiming her at some future time. I loved my grandmother very much and have fond memories of her. Her mother lost so much when she gave her away. I understand times were different then, but she still gave up so much.
Thank you again for all the research you did and for all the information you've given me.
Jean Galata
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

You're very welcome, Jean. My Great Grandfather was also an abandoned infant, so we have that in common too. Clearly, the Viscardo family cared very much for your grandmother and treated her as their own child. Who could ask for more?
John Armellino