Mother at 13???

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Mother at 13???

Postby Squigy » 04 Dec 2011, 10:46

Okay, so I was going through some records I just found, and something just doesn't add up.

Here are the facts:

My great X5 grandfather - Francesco Rossano's - death record lists him as 60 in 1832, meaning he was born in 1772. He was married to a Caterina Negro.

His son Davide died in 1828 at 18 - meaning HE was born in 1810.

Now, here's where it get's weird - Caterina is listed as 40 years old on her death record in 1837. That would mean she was only THIRTEEN when Davide was born!

Here are the records:

What do you all make of this? I doubt I have the wrong family - it seems unlikely there would be TWO Francesco Rossano/Caterina Negro couples, doesn't it? Although she is listed as MOGLIE di Francesco Rossano, as opposed to "vedova" - that's a little disconcerting).

Is it possible they just got her age wrong? She did die in the middle of a horrible cholera outbreak, perhaps they were overburdened and got some info wrong? Or maybe Davide was her husband's son, not her's? Or, perhaps, she really did just have a child at 13 with a 38 year old (which is a bit of a scary thought).
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito

Re: Mother at 13???

Postby Italysearcher » 04 Dec 2011, 14:07

Look at who declared the death. If it was anyone but the husband then the age was probably a guess. Most death records I have seen were 'round' numbers.
Ann Tatangelo
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. ... ly/7731505

Return to “Italian Genealogy”