Help finding marriage in province of Matera, Basilicata

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Help finding marriage in province of Matera, Basilicata

Postby lcafarel » 07 Dec 2011, 02:18

I've been researching records from several towns in Basilicata and am having trouble locating birth (abt. 1832) and marriage records for my husband's 2nd ggrandmother, Maria Gaetana Mastronardi. I haven't found a birth record for a Maria Gaetana, but I did find a record for the right year in Stigliano for a Maria Teresa Mastronardi and suspect this may be the same person. Our Maria Gaetana Mastronardi was living in Stigliano when her son Vincenzo (my husband's ggrandfather) was married in Accettura in 1876. However, Vincenzo was born (in 1854) not in Stigliano, but in Ferrandina, where his father's family had lived for a few generations.

I have ordered several films of processetti from Ferrandina and Stigliano, as well as from Craco and Cirigliano, where there is a concentration of Mastronardis. These are going to take a long time to search, the ones I've searched have come up empty, and I'm wondering if anyone out there happens to have any of the 1845-53 Matera province films with Atti di Matrimoni and would be willing to check the towns' marriage indexes for me to help focus the task.

The record I am seeking is for the marriage of Domenico Cafarelli, born 1821 in Ferrandina, son of Francesco Vincenzo Cafarelli and Angela Maria Russo of Ferrandina, and Maria Gaetana Mastronard, born about 1832, parents and birth location unknown. Domenico was an armorer although he came from a family of shoemakers. Since their son Vincenzo was named after his grandfather (also called Vincenzo in his grandson's birth record), I suspect that he was the eldest son. The marriage is likely to have occurred close to 1853, the year before Vincenzo was born, but could have been as early as 1845 if there were previous births or Maria Gaetana married young. I suspect Stigliano or Craco as the marriage location, but would not rule out Ferrandina, Cirigliano, or even another location such as Pisticci, where there were Mastronardis.

Thank you very much!

Lesley

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Help finding marriage in province of Matera, Basilicata

Postby Italysearcher » 07 Dec 2011, 08:55

If you know where she died,her death record should state town of birth and parents names.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 07 Dec 2011, 16:58

Yes, I know; thanks. I don't yet have her death record, but know she died after 1876. I will have to start ordering those films eventually, but I thought I'd try to find her marriage record first, since several years of processetti are on one film.

There is a younger Maria Gaetana Mastronardi who immigrated to the U.S. from Ferrandina, so I thought our Maria might have died there. I obtained the Indici Decennale and found what may be a Maria Mastronardi who died in Ferrandina in 1896 (the name is hard to read and there are a lot of Mastro- names there) and another Maria Mastronardi who died in Craco in 1886, as well as a Gaetano who died there in 1878. But so far, I haven't found her birth in several years of films for those towns. I'll keep chipping away.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 07 Dec 2011, 17:13

Dear lcafarel,
you can understand who is the right Maria Gaetana death records, because in the deaths act are the name of husband, so if is the right Maria Gaetana death act you can find: "... moglie (wife) di Domenico Cafarelli" or ".. vedova (widow) di Domenico Cafarelli"....
However the Mastronardis was also in Bernalda and Montalbano Jonico towns; you searched the Maria Gaetana birth acts in this 2 places?

All the best,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 07 Dec 2011, 17:20

Thanks, suanj. So far, I have not searched Bernalda or Montalbano for Maria Gaetana's birth records, as I have not come across any family connection with those towns as I have with the others. I appreciate the suggestion and will look there if I don't find her elsewhere.

BTW, if anyone has the films with 1886 Craco deaths or 1896 Ferrandina deaths, or database entries for these, I'd appreciate a look-up to see if either of these is our Maria Gaetana Mastronardi. The Craco 1886 record number is 22; the Ferrandina 1896 number is 185.

Thanks.

Lesley

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 07 Dec 2011, 18:46

Alternatively, if anyone has found children other than Vincenzo for Domenico Cafarelli, born 1821, and Maria Gaetana Mastronardi, born about 1832, most likely living in Ferrandina, I would appreciate that information. And if you have their processetti, it should contain more information on Maria Gaetana. Unfortunately the Accettura processetti for 1876, the year of Vincenzo's marriage, are missing, and he and family emigrated to the U.S., so there are no subsequent processetti for Maria Gaetana's grandchildren that have her death record.

Thanks.

Lesley

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 14 Feb 2012, 20:40

Hi, folks. I came across my original post about this marriage and thought I'd update you that I finally found Maria Gaetana Mastronardi's birth and marriage records after a long time searching--in Craco. As it turns out, she was born in 1830, the daughter of Vincenzo Mastronardi and Angela Rosa Brescia, and married Domenico Cafarelli from Ferrandina in Craco in 1852. They settled in Ferrandina, and I'm still searching for children other than my husband's ggrandfather, Vincenzo. I'm also still looking for information on how Maria Gaetana and Vincenzo came to be in Stigliano when he was married in Accettura in 1876, as well as where and when she died.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Lesley

Return to “Italian Genealogy”