Buccico immigrated to Worcester, MA, USA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suzi_catz

Buccico immigrated to Worcester, MA, USA

Postby suzi_catz » 10 Dec 2011, 14:30

Hello - I have been researching my family history for about one year and have many pieces of the puzzle. I have requested naturalization papers for my great grandfather from NARA in Boston, MA and hope that the search there is fruitful so that I may confirm where in Italy my Great grandfather was born. I'll list what I know below in case it helps anyone else OR if there is any additional information that someone may give me. I have census, birth, marriage and military records as well as Worcester house directories that confirm the info below. As yet I've been unable to find passenger list/immigration (other than index card for naturalization papers)I’ve searched databases for NARA passenger list with no success.

Here is what I know:

In America the name is spelled Buccico.

Louis (? Luigi)(my great-great grandfather) Buccico, 1888 lived in Worcester, occupation Shoemaker, 1901 died in Worcester, MA. His death records lists his father as Dominick

Giuseppe Buccico,(my great-grandfather) immigrated 1887, b. Feb 25, 1864 Italy, occupation laborer, various jobs on the railroad, died Worc 1916/1917. Giuseppe’s marriage record in 1888 in Worcester, MA lists his parents are Louis and Teresa. He married Lucy Blanche (Americanized name from I believe Lucia Bilangio or Lucia Blanchini – need more research)

Giuseppe had a friendship with the DeMarco family in Worcester, brothers Achille and Giuseppe and I have found they were from Brindisi di Montagna, Italy. I have not confirmed they knew each other in Italy but I have found Giuseppe DeMarco’s immigration record and he came to USA the same year as Giuseppe Buccico (1887) and G. DeMarco’s birth history is Brindisi di Montagna, Potenza, Italy

From my research I have found family members of Louis and Giuseppe. I have not confirmed they are Louis's other children, ? daughters, but have surmised they are close relations. Giuseppe and Louis lived with the Gregorios and the Domianos when they arrived. These families also lived in very close proximity to each other, either in the same triple decker houses or next door for many years in Worcester.

Vincenza Buccico Domiano (some records show Damiano) b.1847-1849. m. Vito Domiano in Italy, immigrated 1883
Children born in Italy: Dominick Domiano b. 1871 and Vincent Domiano 1874

Rosaria Buccico Domiano b. 1859-1860 italy, m. Rocco Domiano in Italy, immigrated
From WWII draft registration from Rosaria’s son at the age of 61! Antonio Victor Domiano b. May 11 1881 Ruta, (Ruoti) Italy – this is repeated on his brother’s draft registration although Ruta is spelled Rowe!

Anna Maria (Anna, Mary) Buccico Gregorio (Gregory) b. appx 1850 in Italy, m. Joseph (Giuseppe) Gregorio in Italy 1872, immigrated (per 1910 census) 1880.

After all this research, and more, I’ve deducted that my Buccico ancestors came from Potenza, Italy region but have not been able to confirm that as I am not sure where to search for Italian birth, marriage, death records.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sue

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Buccico immigrated to Worcester, MA, USA

Postby suanj » 10 Dec 2011, 18:39

Hi, I found the birth act of Antonio DAMIANO ( right spelling) born in Ruoti on 11 May 1881, son of Rocco DAMIANO ( in military service at Antonio birth) and Rosaria Buccico ( no age); the informant was the midwife :
Rocco DAMIANO and Rosaria Maria BUCCICO was married in Ruoti on 2th feb 1880

groom: Rocco DAMIANO farmer 20/21 old born in Ruoti, resident in Ruoti son of Giuseppe DAMIANO and Maria Francesca IANNUZZO

bride: Rosaria Maria BUCCICO farmer, 21 old, born in Ruoti, resident in Ruoti, daughter of Luigi BUCCICO and Teresa CAIVANO

marriage bann:
by the marriage bann are the same info on the marriage act, just other infos:that Giuseppe DAMIANO father of Rocco, was in jail for a sentence of 15 years of penal servitude; Luigi BUCCICO father of Rosaria Maria, was 59 old and shoemaker, Teresa CAIVANO was a housewife

If the above records are rights, you can find the civil records of Luigi Buccico and Teresa Caivano in Ruoti microfilms by LDS:

Registri dello stato civile di Ruoti (Potenza), 1697-1939 Ruoti (Potenza). Ufficio dello stato civile
Births, banns, marriages, deaths, miscellaneous records, supplemental records. Some years are missing.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
hoping helpful,
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

suzi_catz

Postby suzi_catz » 10 Dec 2011, 19:31

Dear suanj - many many thanks for the helpful information you posted! I believe the information is correct as it confirms parent names (luigi and teresa) and it confirms my assumption that my great grandfather was surrounded by his sisters here in US. Thanks so much.

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby suanj » 10 Dec 2011, 21:21

happy of help you!
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”