Russo family from Bauso (now Villafranca Tirrena) Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Russo family from Bauso (now Villafranca Tirrena) Sicily

Postby Joe4322 » 16 Dec 2011, 18:09

Good afternoon everyone,

I have posted before, but I need to get a little more information. I have ordered films from LDS for births etc. I am looking for ship manifests for my uncle who first came to Boston in 1919 I believe. He sent for my father and his sisters in later years.

My uncle's name was Sebastiano Russo. Born in 1887. My fathers name was Giuseppe Russo. Born in 1889.

My aunts names were Maria and Nicolina.

My father came here in 1921. I am not sure about my aunts.

Thank you, I hope you can help.

Joe

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Russo family from Bauso (now Villafranca Tirrena) Sicily

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Dec 2011, 23:20

Hi Joe :-)

Took at look at the ship manifest (SS Canopic) for your father Giuseppe Russo in June of 1921, arriving Boston, going to brother Sebastiano on Harrison Ave., Boston.

His sister Nicolina is on the line above him (line 22) also going to Sebastiano :-)

Don't see Maria on this page of the manifest :-(

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Dec 2011, 23:32

Joe4322 wrote:Good afternoon everyone,

I have posted before, but I need to get a little more information. I have ordered films from LDS for births etc. I am looking for ship manifests for my uncle who first came to Boston in 1919 I believe. He sent for my father and his sisters in later years.

My uncle's name was Sebastiano Russo. Born in 1887. My fathers name was Giuseppe Russo. Born in 1889.

My aunts names were Maria and Nicolina.

Thank you, I hope you can help.

Joe

It looks like Maria arrived in 1914 with Sebastiano on the SS Cretic, arriving at Boston.
Maria is on line 20 - age 22, leaving father Giovanni in Bauso
Sebastiano is on line 21 - age 27, leaving father Giovanni in Messina

There seems to be a "stamped" notation by Sebastiano's name stating: "Legal Entry for Permanent Residence Verified - June 9 1926/or1928/or 1938..." Could be notation for naturalization records.

They are going to a cousin, ANTONIO GIORDANO, at 677 Raven/Roman(?) St., Boston, MASS
Maria lists place of birth as Messina, and Sebastiano lists Place of birth as Bauso :-)

page 1

page2

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 16 Dec 2011, 23:49

Possible Naturalization Index Card for Sebastiano -
Declaration was in 1926
Naturalization Petition was Jan 1928 (#99855) - issued by the US Dist. Court in Massachusetts

You should be able to get a copy of the record from NARA at this site using the Petition Number above...
https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.

Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Joe4322 » 17 Dec 2011, 16:21

Good morning T,

WOW!!! You are truly amazing! You should be paid for what you do. You must make a lot of people happy, because I am. I have learned more information in the last week and a half, than I have in years off and on.

My films should be in soon, so my Winter will be busy. I will also go to the NARA in Waltham, Mass. to do further investigating. After the first of the year I will also subscribe to Ancestry.com.

Hopefully I can find birth records of my grandparents, great grandparents and beyond.

Thank you so much T, I really appreciate all the work you have done for me.

Joe

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 17 Dec 2011, 18:35

Hi Joe :-)

Glad to have helped. :-)

I'm posting the manifest for Giuseppe in case you don't have it. I guess I assumed that you did...
It is the 1921 manifest referenced above with Nicolina on line 22 and Giuseppe on line 23.

page 1

page 2

T.

Joe4322
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Joe4322 » 18 Dec 2011, 19:13

Good afternoon T,

Thank you again. No, I did not have my father's manifest, but I do now. I am looking forward to looking up my grandparents and beyond. It should be a lot of fun for the winter.

I think I will also look up the people who sponsered my uncle and my grandfather on my mother's side and how they were related to me.

Joe

Return to “Italian Genealogy”