naming conventions, 1860s, Southern Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

naming conventions, 1860s, Southern Italy

Postby elmosgirl » 17 Dec 2011, 01:51

This is a question about naming the females. It might be more helpful to ask the question in story form.

Joe and Jenny marry and have 10 children, among them a female named Mary.

Jack, a son of Joe and Jenny, marries and names a daughter after his sister, Mary.

My question: Would a brother and wife name one of their children after a living sister to the husband?

Or, in following naming conventions, would the name only be given if the sister Mary was deceased?

I hope the reader can follow this, and that someone has an answer!

Thanks as always.

JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Re: naming conventions, 1860s, Southern Italy

Postby JohnArmellino » 17 Dec 2011, 02:49

My Grandparents had five daughters. As per tradition, the first daughter was named after her paternal grandmother, the second after her maternal grandmother, the third after her only paternal aunt, the fourth after her oldest maternal aunt, and the fifth after the next oldest maternal aunt. All of the children were born between 1912 and 1919 and all of the namesakes were living at the time.
John Armellino

elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Postby elmosgirl » 17 Dec 2011, 03:14

Thank you for your answer, but I believe my story was not understood.

I am not clarifying the naming of the first ten children. I understand the naming conventions applied to the original ten children (in my example). Yes, such was so in my own Italian family in the 1900s.

I'm questioning one of those ten children naming one of his own child after another of the ten children. This is not lineal.

Or, let's put this another way. You and your wife name a daughter after one of your sisters.

In 1860, would this have happened in the Southern Italian family if the sister was still living?

I hope my question is a little clearer.

Thanks!

liviomoreno
Master
Master

Postby liviomoreno » 17 Dec 2011, 07:33

elmosgirl wrote:Thank you for your answer, but I believe my story was not understood.

I am not clarifying the naming of the first ten children. I understand the naming conventions applied to the original ten children (in my example). Yes, such was so in my own Italian family in the 1900s.

I'm questioning one of those ten children naming one of his own child after another of the ten children. This is not lineal.

Or, let's put this another way. You and your wife name a daughter after one of your sisters.

In 1860, would this have happened in the Southern Italian family if the sister was still living? Yes

I hope my question is a little clearer.

Thanks!

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 17 Dec 2011, 08:24

In my experience Mary or Maria was a name given to almost half the females it seems out of respect for the Madonna if that is the actual name you are inquiring about. She might also have been named after her Godmother (whose name was Mary). There are many ways to change Maria to differentiate between people it didn't really matter, and they were often given a second name that was used instead.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Postby elmosgirl » 18 Dec 2011, 00:13

Thank you Livio, this provides a valuable clue in researching that far back!

Ann Tantangelo, my names in my set-up were not the real ones, but I appreciate your answer.

Thank you, both of you!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”