Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Postby suzi_catz » 21 Dec 2011, 17:56

Census data records that my great grandfather Giuseppe Buccico emigrated Italy to New York 1887.

His intention of naturalization paper states he emigrated Ruoti, Basilicata, Italy arriving New York Dec 21, 1882.

I've tried to search passenger lists by name on ancestry.com but have had no luck.

What other types of records should I be looking for to confirm date of emigration/immigration?

Which documents might have ship's name?

Ellis Island spelling of Italian names is SERIOUSLY confusing - any hints for finding ancestors in these records?

Re: Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Postby Italysearcher » 21 Dec 2011, 19:43

Its not the spelling, its the interpretation of the handwriting that has led to the strange indexing. If you need help try lostquays@ymail.com. She can find anything,
Ann Tatangelo
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

Re: Emigration/Immigration record search confusion

Postby xrayrosie » 05 Jan 2016, 16:35

Your ancestor Guiseppe Buccico is related to my Grandfather Enrico Buccico. Our family is from Ruoti, italy. Part of our family went to Mass. and the rest to New York. We do have some family information that may help. Contact me if you would like to exchange information.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”