finding family anywhere.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
5 posts • Page 1 of 1

finding family anywhere.

Postby jasonc » 25 Nov 2004, 14:04

i cannot find anything on relatives or history .even spent money on sites with no help.all i know is my granfather came to canada with his father mario.my grandfather had a brother named peter with his last name spelled CARPENEDO. but my granfathers is CARPENADO. im so lost help me.i know nothing but want too.
jasonc

Re: finding family anywhere.

Postby suanj » 25 Nov 2004, 14:34

jasonc wrote:i cannot find anything on relatives or history .even spent money on sites with no help.all i know is my granfather came to canada with his father mario.my grandfather had a brother named peter with his last name spelled CARPENEDO. but my granfathers is CARPENADO. im so lost help me.i know nothing but want too.

Hi jasonc:
what you want to know? italian birthplace of your ancestor?? You want to know your relatives in Italy?
You know some other details about your ancestors? Peter(=Pietro) also are emigrated or no? I found an Peter Carpenado in 1928 -Bessemer City, Michigan:
Carpenado Peter married Mary st truck driver b/1
and about this Peter are:
Peter CARPENEDO
Birth Date: 10 Jul 1903
Death Date: 21 Mar 1995
Social Security Number: 390-09-6057
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: Wisconsin

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 49911
Localities: Bessemer, Gogebic, Michigan
Also are in same town:
Carpenedo, John ... married, PO Bessmer, carpenter
Carpenedo, Leo ... truck driver, Bessemer

Well, this surname exact spelling is Carpenedo
and is probable original of Veneto region... please explane better...
suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Postby mfjp » 25 Nov 2004, 17:01

There is info here about Bessimer Michigan as well... which is not to far from the Canadian border... who knows... maybe the Pietro born in 1903 as mentioned in suanj's post has a father or uncle mentioned below (Francesco or Giovanni!)

According to this manifest,
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3202040193

These Carpenado’s from Foza - all workmen made it to Ontario (Stratford, ON)
Francesco 24 to Ontario
Giuseppe age 38 to ?
Eugenio age 26 to Stratford, ON
Antonio age 24? to Ontario

0010.  Carpenedo, Francesco M 2... M Italian Fozo
0011.  Gheller, Pietro M 24 M Italian Fozo
0012.  Carpanedo, Guiseppe M 38 M Italian Fozo
0013.  Carpanedo, Luigi M 40 M Italian Fozo
0014.  Carpanedo, Eugenio M 26 M Italian Fozo
0015.  Carpanedo, Antonio M 22 S Italian Fozo

First Name: Francesco
Last Name: Carpenedo
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Fozo
Date of Arrival: April 14, 1902
Age at Arrival:  2...    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: La Champagne
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0010

According to this manifest....

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3202040187

They went to Spokane Washington. Spokane would be near Trail or Rossland, British Columbia - mining towns. There was a strong connection between the Spokane district and the BC border in the early 1900’s. There are mainly men on this manifest and many are headed to Cranbrook or Vancouver British Columbia as well... all probably seeking jobs a miners - making a good wage of $2 a day.

First Name: Agostino
Ethnicity: Italian, North
Last Place of Residence: Asiago, Italy
Date of Arrival: April 05, 1910
Age at Arrival:  28 y 3 m    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: America
Port of Departure: Genova

Agostino was going to be with his cousin Mariano.
Giuseppe was going to be with his cousin John (or Giovanni)
0018.  Carpenedo, Agostino M 28 y 3 m M Italian, North Asiago, Italy
0019.  Carpenedo, Giuseppe M 28 y 5 m M Italian, North Asiago, Italy

According to this manifest.... Giovanni would also be going to Dalkima, Washington to be with his brother Luigi... please note that the passengers on this list are also going to the Copper Cliff mines in SUDBURY Ontario....
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1619020202

First Name: Giovanni Carpenedo Ethnicity: Italian Last Place of Residence: Volpago, Treviso Date of Arrival: June 13, 1909
Age at Arrival:  17y 8m    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  Ship of Travel: Duca Degli Abruzzi Port of Departure: Genova Manifest Line Number: 0013

According to this manifest...
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 492110052&

First Name: Francesco
Ethnicity: Italian
Last Place of Residence: Italy
Date of Arrival: March 23, 1909
Age at Arrival:  35y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: S.S. Chicago
Port of Departure: Havre
Manifest Line Number: 0022

was going to Bessemer Michigan to be with ...his brother Giovanni.... not too far from Ontario either....

Note that Gheller’s traveled with the Carpinedo’s... also Antonio Ora’s brother in law was Giovanni Carpenedo....

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Postby ptimber » 25 Nov 2004, 19:52

Dear Jason you have to begin at the beginning. Call Canada Libraries and archives (toll free) at 1-866-578-7777 and ask for information on how to locate the record of their arrival in canada. i presume you have full names and possibly birthdates or ages etc. Please get back since all border crossing records started in 1892. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Postby jasonc » 26 Nov 2004, 06:14

i was told my great granfather came over solo.i dont know if thats correct or not.hopefully when i get the tree list maybe it can help but .i dont beleive theres alot of info there.i checked alot of gov files for his war record arrivla and no help.all i really have is what info i gave in the Emigration, Immigration, Naturalization and Italian citizenship.forum which ill only use for now on dont need 2 post's.taking up space.but i beleive ptimber informed me of what the words were on the picture ill get the pic and see if i can see more.but i dunno i so confused.not sure if im spellin my last name right.and were myfamily killed in 42 during the war i know my grandfather joined the forces to go and fight but dont know wanything on that.my family is helpful but not really.lol thanks all.
jasonc

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy