Searching for Paolo Benassi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Searching for Paolo Benassi

Postby modene1 » 23 Dec 2011, 13:01

Back in 1966 my mother was travelling by ship from Sweden to New Zealand.

She was travelling on the Fairstar which was run by an Italian cruise company called Sitmar or in Italian - Societa Italiana Trasporti Marittimi.

On that voyage my mother met my father - a young purser whose name is Paolo Benassi. He is circled in the picture below. My mother is the woman 2nd from the end of the line. I understand the man to Paolos left is the captain.

To see the pictures and full post click

This is unfortunately all the information I was given back in 1996. Since then:

I did a massive internet search for people with this name/surname and emailed them.

I found the two links above on Fairstar and Sitmar.

I found a Facebook group for the Fairstar. From this crew list I tried to email/contact people who were sailing around the same time as Paolo.

I tried to get some information from P&O employee records.

I managed to trace Paolo's footsteps to a P&O Cruise office in Florida, USA where he worked for a while.

This page was written and an entry put into Italian Genealogy.

Over the years I have checked various genealogy sites and come unstuck either with money or language (Italian).

Bear in mind that Paolo, if alive, would be about 65 now (written 2011) and that he most likely doesn't know of my existence.

Can you please help me?

Re: Searching for Paolo Benassi

Postby suanj » 23 Dec 2011, 16:01

Visit my website:

Return to “Italian Genealogy”