Berra family from Monteprato, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PJ&MDomingo

Berra family from Monteprato, Italy

Postby PJ&MDomingo » 26 Dec 2011, 06:42

I am trying to find information regarding the Berra family from Monteprato in Italy. My fathers name was Tarcisio Berra, son of Giovanni and Anna Dri Berra. Giovanni Berra was born in Vallemontana, Italy and Anna Dri was born in Sedilis, Italy. They had 6 children, Giuseppe,Gino, Ermenegildo, Maria, Angelina, Elena and my father, Tarcisio. The only son to remain in Italy, was Giuseppe. The other 5 siblings all came out to Adelaide, South Australia, married and had children of their own.

I would like to find out more information from the italian side of the family, as I have researched the australian side. Can anyone help me?

:) Mary D

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Berra family from Monteprato, Italy

Postby adelfio » 27 Dec 2011, 16:46

Welcome and Happy Holidays can you list some dates for the researching and do you Italian records for the Berra family?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

lorettasanders95

Postby lorettasanders95 » 29 May 2012, 06:07

My GGG Grandfather was Francis Nicholas Berra born in Turin abt 1791 and immigrated to England from Turin in Italy about 1810 He married my ggg grandmother in 1828 but according to the marriage certificate he’d been widowed. I know he had a couple of brothers and maybe a sister in Italy. I also believe he actually went to France before going to England and worked with the chap who invented the Jacquard Loom and took it to England and set a silk ribbon factory there but ran into financial trouble and died in 1837.

fosterr

Postby fosterr » 21 Jan 2014, 22:19

My great great grandmother's first marriage was to Giovanni Antonio Berra, a native of Piedmont, born about 1795. He seems to have found his way initially to Spain and subsequently to England where he is likely to have become an amanuensis to the Italian poet then resident in England Ugo Foscolo. Giovanni evidently had a difficult relationship with Foscolo and left his employment after about a year in about 1826. Like several of the previous Foscolo secretaries, Giovanni Berra subsequently went to Ireland, in fact to Cork where he established a school in Marlborough Street offering instruction in Italian and French. He there either established a relationship or continued one started earlier in London with Jane Hovil Sawyer, born in London in 1807, who had set up her own school for young ladies at South Mall, Cork. Jane and Giovanni were married in Cork on 26th March, 1831. Their daughter was born in 1832 but by the following year both daughter and Giovanni were dead. Jane Berra later married a native of Cork, Samuel J. Newsom.
Both Jane and Giovanni were excellent linguists and she continued to run her school (Signora Berra's School) for many years after her husband's death. Giovanni himself wrote write (or started to write; for it appears that the work was meant to be a longer one) a book entitled "Simplification of the French Verbs", published in Cork in 1830 a copy of which is in the British Library, London.
I have been unable to discover anything of Giovanni's life prior to him leaving Italy: was he anything to do with the Monteprato Berras? I don't know. Was he connected with the Berra family of piano makers in Turin, or indeed with the Berra music publishers of Prague? I have no idea but I'd certainly like to know. If anyone out there has any bright ideas do please come forward!
Raymond

Return to “Italian Genealogy”