Guiseppe Aiello

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sciacca100

Guiseppe Aiello

Postby sciacca100 » 06 Jan 2012, 01:56

I'm back again trying to find out more information on my grandfather's side of the family. His name was Guiseppe Aiello, DOB: 3/18/1908, DOD: 7/23/1977, DOM: 12/3/1926. Parents: Salvatore Aiello and Rosalia Ciarmetara DOD: 10/14/1946. I got Rosalia's DOD from the cemetary (St. Michaels in MA) where they recorded her age at death at 66yrs. So she may have been born in 1880/1881. I would like to find out where both Salvatore and Rosalia were born. I'm sure it was Italy (maybe Sicily), but not sure exactly where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Guiseppe Aiello

Postby Biff83 » 06 Jan 2012, 02:32

1905 manifest for Rosalia Ciaramitaro and son Giovanni Aiello, lines 18 and 19.
Year of birth: About 1886
Last residence: town of Terrasini, province of Palermo, Sicily
Destination: Boston to join husband Salvatore Aiello
http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/1686/ciar1905.jpg

1910 Boston census for Salvatore, Rosalia and family
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7964/aiello1910.jpg
Salvatore Aiello, 36 fisherman (note other Aiello's on same census page with same occupation) possible siblings or cousins
Rosalia Aiello, 30
John Aiello, 8, born Italy
Leonardo Aiello, 5, born Mass
Joseph Aiello, 2, born Mass
Mary Aiello, 3/12, born Mass

1902 manifest for Salvatore Aiello, line 6
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0006
Born about 1873
Last residence: Terrasini
Destination: Boston to join brother Battista (there's a Battista Aiello on the 1910 census)

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 06 Jan 2012, 12:41

Biff,

I do remember my grandfather had a brother Leo and sister Mary. I think the others listed on the census must be his siblings. Thank you so much for your help!

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 06 Jan 2012, 17:26

Following information on Rosalia Ciaramitaro from the Carnine Exchange Forum.
http://cariniexchange.forumup.com/viewt ... niexchange

"I can give you some info on this family. This info is from the church records of Maria Della Grazia in Terrasini.

Leonardo Ciaramitaro (son of Mercurio Ciaramitaro & Rosalia Pellerito) married Rosalia Favazza (dau of Gaetano Favazza & Caterina Frontieri) on 8-Nov-1874 in Terrasini.

I found 2 children for this couple:

1. Mercurio married Giuseppa Misuraca (dau of Lorenzo Misuraca & Arita Frontieri) on 27-Se[-1906 in Terrasini

2. Rosalia (Ciaramitaro) married Salvatore Aiello (son of Giovanni Aiello & Maria Favazza) on 10-Feb-1901 in Terrasini. (Salvatore died 1955 in Gloucester, MA.)

Mercurio Ciaramitaro (son of Leonardo Ciaramitaro & Rosalia Lo Vasco) married Rosalia Pellerito (dau of Cesare Pellerito & Rosa Cusimano) on 19-Sep-1847 in Terrasini

Leonardo Ciaramitaro (son of Mercurio Ciaramitaro & Margarita Bologna) married Rosalia Lo Vasco (dau of Filippo Lo Vasco & Caterina Aiello) on 18-May-1819 in Terrasini.

Mercurio Ciaramitaro (son of Domenico Ciaramitaro & Giuseppa Aiello) married Margarita Bologna (dau of Leonardo Bologna & Caterina Cardinale) on 8-Sep-1782 in Terrasini. (Record say the Bologna family was from Altera)

Domenico Ciaramitaro (son of Mercurio Ciaramitaro & Filippa unknown) married Giuseppa Aiello (dau of Domenico Aiello & Anna unknown) on 7-Aug-1748 in Terrasini."

You might want to register on this site so you can post questions relative to your Aiello side.
Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 06 Jan 2012, 18:08

Biff,
The infomation you provided dating back to 1748 in Terrasini is just awesome!

I attended a funeral for a family member yesterday and after listening to the priest's sermon, the Russian proverb you quote came to mind. This is so true.

Thank you again!

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 06 Jan 2012, 18:17

I quickly visited the website you provided a link to. Angelina mentions Karen Favazza Spencer who has done much research of this family name. Funny, I noticed Karen's website several weeks ago and saved it as a favorite on my computer. I think we also share a family member or two and will be contacting her also. You have connected us so quickly! A million thanks!

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 06 Jan 2012, 18:25

I believe this is your Salvatore Aiello and family (taken from Karen Favazza Spencer's site).

Maria FAVAZZA (1848 Terrasini, Sicily - 1909 Sicily)
+ Giovanni AIELLO (18 Jul 1842 Terrasini, Sicily - dec. Sicily)
- Antonino AIELLO (abt 1868 Terrasini, Sicily - 1876 Sicily)
- Giuseppe AIELLO (20 May 1871 Terrasini, Sicily – 1958 Gloucester, MA)
- Salvatore AIELLO (7 Oct 1873 Terrasini, Sicily – 1955 Gloucester, MA)
- Giobattista AIELLO (15 May 1876 Terrasini, Sicily – Gloucester, MA)
- Antonino AIELLO (5 Aug 1879 Terrasini, Sicily – dec.)
- Paola AIELLO (abt 1883 Terrasini, Sicily – dec.)
- Grazia AIELLO (24 May 1885 Terrasini, Sicily – dec.)
- Vito AIELLO (7 May 1888 Terrasini, Sicily – March 1979 Gloucester, MA)
- Caterina AIELLO (30 Oct 1890 Terrasini, Sicily – dec.)

Keep in mind that the Ciaramitaro and Aiello information I posted is likely correct but is not documented; for source data references to civil and/or church birth/marriage/death records, you would need to contact "eyetalgal" on the Carini Forum and Karen Favazza Spencer to ask if they could provide these to you, and if they have any other information tracing you Aiello side back in time.

Karen Favazza Spencer has also traced Maria Favazza's (Savatore's mother) ancestry.

Biff

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 07 Jan 2012, 01:46

From a public tree on Ancestry, a copy of Salvatore's birth certificate.
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/2756/aiellobc.jpg

And a pic of Salvatore and Rosalia Ciaramitaro.
http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/2175/salrose.jpg

Let me know if you'd like me to contact the tree owner to see if he'd be willing to get in touch with you via email. His tree takes the Aiello line back into the mid to late 1600s. The tree owner is foles63, the same person who started the Aiello thread on the Carini Exchange forum linked above; there's a chance that his Aaiello tree information came from eyetalgal or Karen Favazza Spencer.

Biff

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 17 Jan 2012, 20:49

What a wonderful surprise to see my great grandparents picture - just awesome! I have been in contact with Karen Favazza Spencer and found that we do share some common ancestors.

I have tried to register without luck on the Carini Exchange. Any user id I create gets rejected with the message, not acceptable user id. I'll keep trying.

That would be fantastic if you could contact the Aiello tree owner and provide him/her with my email address.

Thanks so much for your help!

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 19 Jan 2012, 00:32

I'll let you know if and when I get a response.

Biff

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 19 Jan 2012, 01:05

Thanks!

foles63@yahoo.com

Postby foles63@yahoo.com » 24 Feb 2012, 23:55

Sciacca,

I just noticed your post on Italian Genealogy. My name is Steve Foley (foles63) and your Giuseppe Aiello is my great grandfather, Giovanni Battista Aiello's, brother. In fact, they married sisters. Giobatt married Caterina Ciaramitaro. I can give you lots of info on both the Ciaramitaro and Aiello lines (including photos). Contact me through this site and we can exchange information. Peace.

Steve Foley

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 26 Feb 2012, 04:32

Hi Steve!

My name is Lois Federico and I'm just beginning research. So, that would make us 3rd cousins, right? I did not know my grandfather had a brother named Giovanni. I have found the names of some of his siblings, Leonardo, Mike, Mary and Rosalia. I do remember his brother Mike who married Louise,they lived in East Boston. Years ago I lived just a few blocks from them, and my grandparents lived in their home until they passed away. I'm so excited you contacted me. Biff sent me a copy of Salvatore Aiello & Rosalia Ciarmitaro (my great-grandparents), which I think he got from your family tree. I would love to view your family tree if possible. Let me know what I can help you with. Thanks!

foles63@yahoo.com

Postby foles63@yahoo.com » 27 Feb 2012, 05:14

Lois,

In my last post I meant to say that my great grandfather, Giovanni Battista Aiello, was the brother of Salvatore Aiello (not his son Giuseppe). I guess that our great grandfathers are brothers. Giovanni and Caterina lived in the North End until they died. Caterina, Giovanni's wife, died in 1969. I remember visiting as a young child. Not only did Giovanni and Salvatore marry Ciaramitaro sisters but they also gave their children the exact same names (as best I can tell). So, Salvatore's children (like Giovanni's) are named Giovanni, Leonardo, Giuseppe, Maria, Rosalia, Pauline, Michael and Rose (Sal and Rosalia's first Rose died young). I'd be happy to show you the family tree. Do you have an Ancestry account? If you do, my username there is foles63. If not, maybe we can exchange emails and share information that way. I have a picture of Giovanni Battista and you would be amazed at how much he looks like your great grandfather. They could be twins. I've been able to go back pretty far with the Aiello and Ciaramitaro lines so Ancestry would be the most efficient way for you to view the tree. Let me know. Peace.

Steve

sciacca100

Postby sciacca100 » 29 Feb 2012, 00:48

Hi Steve,

I will email you. Look for sciacca.

Thanks,

Lois

Return to “Italian Genealogy”