Battani--trying to find roots

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
aron75

Battani--trying to find roots

Postby aron75 » 06 Jan 2012, 22:24

My great grandmother's name was Ida Fontanini nee Battani of Des Moines, IA but born in the small village of Pietra Volta, near Modena, Italy. She was born on Jan. 30 1892 and died in Feb. 1985. I know for certain her father's name was Giuseppe Battani born in 1856, presumably also in Pietra Volta, but not known for sure. Her mother I am less certain of, but one census lists her name as Fidalma Fontanini born 1865; apparently of no direct relation to her husband's surname Fontanini.

I believe Ida immigrated to the US under her married name on 6 Sept 1916, arriving aboard the ship Giuseppe Verdi. However, I found another document of an Ida Battani arriving in New York aboard the Liguria in 1906 as well.

What I am hoping for are any documents of any kind, such as Italian birth certificates for Ida, Guiseppe, mother, and etc that might provide clues to older ancestors. I have tapped out all information that can be found on ancestory.com, such as US Census and immigration records, as well as from living relatives. Thanks in advance!!

suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Battani--trying to find roots

Postby suanj » 08 Jan 2012, 15:07

Hi,
Madonna di Pietravolta is a hamlet of Frassinoro town, Modena province; I believe that is the right birthplace of your Ida; on ancestry.com the Frassinoro civil records are from 1901/10; but by LDS microfilms you can find all records:
Registri dello stato civile di Frassinoro (Modena), 1806-1929 Frassinoro (Modena). Ufficio dello stato civile
Civil registration of births, marriages, deaths, banns from Frassinoro, Modena, Italy. Includes annual indexes. Some years missing or out of order. Various series of dates exist for the various types of allegati.
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... +Frassinor &columns=*,0,0
regards,
suanj
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

Return to “Italian Genealogy”