Pedone ship manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Pedone ship manifest

Postby corrado » 04 Feb 2012, 23:45

Searching for the immigration records for two different women and their children,
both women traveled alone without husbands.
They sailed from Naples to New York City.

1891, mother and three children:
1) Giovannina Pedone (maiden name)Corrado,(married name) from Nocera Superiore, Salerno, Campania
going to Chicago,IL., to husband Francesco Corrado
Children: Antonio, Assunta, and one unnamed infant who died during the crossing.

1890, mother and two children
2) Carmela Vincenzo (maiden name) Soldani (married name), from Castelcivita, Salerno, Campania
going to Chicago,IL, to husband Luigi Soldani
Children: Maria Carmina and Giovanni

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Pedone ship manifest

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2012, 17:25

You didn't give the DOBs for the children, but here is a POSSIBLE manifest for Assunta Corrado...

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: A Corrado
Arrival Date: 17 Jul 1891
Birth Year: abt 1882

Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Scottish;Italian (Scotish)
Place of Origin: Scotland;Italy
Port of departure: Glasgow, Scotland and Naples, Italy
Destination: New York

Port of arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Trinacria

T.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 05 Feb 2012, 22:46

Thank you for this finding. But it is doubtful this is the record I'm looking for....
If it helps to find the manifests (Naples to New York),
the ages for the passengers are as follows:

arrival, 1891
1)Giovaninna Pedone Corrado, age 33
2) Antonio Corrado, age 6
3) Assunta Corrado, age 3
4) infant brought on board, died at sea

arrival, 1890
4) Carmela Vincenzo Soldani, age 26
5) Giovanni Soldani, age 4
6) Maria Carmina Soldani, age 3

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2012, 23:18

Have checked the records at www.castlegargen.org for years 1880-1905 - this would have included arrivals in NY at Castle Garden, Barge Office and Ellis Island.

Searched names CORRADO, CORADO and PEDONE...
Found a few from Nocera Superiore, and others from Salerno, but none that match your facts. :-(

T.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 06 Feb 2012, 05:13

Thank you for looking and helping with this search. In years of looking, I've never found records on these grandparents/great-grandmothers, only records for the men who came ahead of the women and children.

I appreciate your help.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Feb 2012, 17:36

Sorry I didn't find them...
Either the names are grossly misspelled, or they are mistakenly listed under a different surname...

Do you know the names of others who arrived at the same time? You might be able to narrow it down to a particular ship... then (and I have done this - quite a lengthy endeavor) you will need to go line by line to search for them...

Good luck.

T.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 07 Feb 2012, 03:53

Thanks, Tessa, for your suggestion. I will have to search line by line on the manifests that list the husbands, as you noted. I do know the ships and dates the men came here on.............Have you ever heard of the women and children not being recorded, that is, only the heads of the families being listed on the manifests?

Thanks again.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 07 Feb 2012, 04:26

corrado wrote:Thanks, Tessa, for your suggestion. I will have to search line by line on the manifests that list the husbands, as you noted. I do know the ships and dates the men came here on.............Have you ever heard of the women and children not being recorded, that is, only the heads of the families being listed on the manifests?

Thanks again.

Not in my experience, BUT I have found on manifests of that timeframe that often the wife will be listed as:
Moglie Caterina (and the transcribers list "Moglie" as the surname :? )
AND the children listed as:
figlio Giovanni
figlia Maria --- So their surnames get transcribed as "figlio and figlia"

You can see how that could make finding them a daunting task!!! :shock:

Have you also tried Border Crossings? There is always the possibility they sailed into Canada and crossed the border... just another thought :-)

T.

corrado
Elite
Elite

Postby corrado » 07 Feb 2012, 04:36

Great suggestions, yes, I've seen those "names" (figlio, etc)on other manifests.

Both grandmothers left oral histories, each told of getting off a 'big boat' and getting into a smaller one to get to New York, then riding a train to Chicago, so I'm as sure as I can be (doing this searching) they landed at New York (Castle Garden etc).

Thank you again....lots of work to do.

bottino
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bottino » 10 Feb 2012, 06:00

I don't know where you live but if you are close to the National Archives in Washington DC they have an extensive collection of sips passenger records. I was able to very quickly find each of my grandparents. The key to finding my grandparents was that the ships passenger lists had the passengers listed as couples, and as single men and single women. I did not know that they had traveled separately, grandfather in 1893 and grandmother in 1895. So I wasted a lot of time looking at couples. Finally, my wife who was looking with me, stumbled on my grandfathers name in the single men list. It was really easy to find grandma once we knew where to look.
Alternative, Ellis Island has digitized a lot of the records, you should be able to find them there.
Good luck
Paul

Return to “Italian Genealogy”