SSDI vs Social Security Application

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Assuntax3

SSDI vs Social Security Application

Postby Assuntax3 » 05 Feb 2012, 19:24

Hello,

I have a question about SSDI records versus Applications for Social Security. After a long wait, I finally received my great-grandmother Adelina's Social Security application in the mail. I had already found a record in the SSDI which I was almost positive was hers, which would have confirmed her DOB and her SS#.

Here's my problem. The SS# on the SDDI does not match the "Claim Number" on the Social Security Application. I don't know if that Claim Number actually IS the social security number, but it is in the same format (XXX-XX-XXXX). The DOB matches, the zip code matches, and the name, which is not a very common one, matches.

So I guess this is a long winded way of asking whether anyone knows if the Claim Number on a Social Security application is the person's social security #?

Thanks,

Assunta

BCasa
Rookie
Rookie

Re: SSDI vs Social Security Application

Postby BCasa » 05 Feb 2012, 22:42

If the claim # ends with the letter A it is hers if it ends in another letter it is probably a spouse such as a d or a w?

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 05 Feb 2012, 22:47

From this site:

http://genealogy.about.com/library/auth ... rter1b.htm

The SS-5: Application for Social Security Number

Chances are if an individual worked in the United States after 1935, he or she applied for and received a Social Security number. Even non-citizens have Social Security numbers. The SS-5, Application for Social Security Number, contains the following information: Social Security number, full name (including women’s maiden names), address at time of application, employer and employer’s address (pre-1947 applications only), age at last birthday, date and place of birth, parents’ full names (including mother’s maiden name), sex, color, and whether the applicant had previously applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement. It also contains the application date and the applicant’s signature.

In the 1970s, the SSA microfilmed all SS-5 application forms, created a computer database of selected information from the forms, and destroyed the originals. This SSA internal computer database contains some, but not all, of the information on the original applications. When requesting an SS-5, genealogists generally should ask for a microprint of the microfilmed original, rather than a printout or abstract from the SSA computer database.

T.

Assuntax3

Postby Assuntax3 » 14 Feb 2012, 14:49

BCasa wrote:If the claim # ends with the letter A it is hers if it ends in another letter it is probably a spouse such as a d or a w?

Thanks BCasa. It has a D after it. So maybe the Claim Number is the Social Security number of her husband? Her stepson filled out the form, but I have his SS# and it is not the same.

Thanks,

Assunta

BCasa
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BCasa » 19 Feb 2012, 20:33

Yes that means when she received benefits from Social sec. It was from a deceased spouse. That's her husbands Ssn#

Assuntax3

Postby Assuntax3 » 19 Feb 2012, 22:09

Thanks BCasa. It is indeed her husband's number. Although, I could not find a SSDI record associated with his social security #. Oh well!

Thanks,

Assunta

BCasa
Rookie
Rookie

Postby BCasa » 20 Feb 2012, 12:43

Glad I could help. Maybe he had died before he collected making no record for him?

Assuntax3

Postby Assuntax3 » 03 Mar 2012, 13:34

Must be ...

mdyer
Rookie
Rookie

Postby mdyer » 04 Mar 2012, 16:27

Assunta, out of curiosity, how long was the wait exactly? I ordered a copy of the Social Security application back in September and still haven't received it.

Assuntax3

Postby Assuntax3 » 04 Mar 2012, 17:03

It took quite a few months. Maybe 4? I don't remember exactly.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”