Trip to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Trip to Italy

Postby ibeirish » 05 Feb 2012, 23:50

Hey everyone. So after watching the hit show Who Do You Think You Are, I've decided to take my genealogy journey a step further. I'm planning an upcoming trip to Italy and figured this would be a perfect place to ask how I should go about finding information about my ancestors in Italy. Any suggestions on how to start before going over there???

Cristina319

Re: Trip to Italy

Postby Cristina319 » 06 Feb 2012, 01:22

You really don't say where you're going and what you know, so I'll answer from what I experienced.

My relatives were from Pettorano sul Gizio in Abruzzo. I made contacts with people via Facebook before I went and was able to get some help when I was in the town.

The first time I went, it was a good thing that I had some help as the clerk in the city hall did not speak nor understand English or Spanish (my two languages). While Spanish is close in some respects, it is NOT Italian, and there are more differences than similarities. I took Italian classes for 16 weeks before I went the second time, and I was able to communicate myself that time. It was still a bit difficult because of the dialect, but I survived.

Know as much about the relatives as you can . . . Name, birth date, etc. My grandfather had a cousin with the SAME NAME and a birth date about a week apart. Because I knew his brothers and sisters' names, I was able to tell which was which.

Have a plan.

Remember that the clerks in city hall have more duties than just looking up the information. Don't get too frustrated.

And, as someone told me, the Italians are not as interested in genealogy as we are, and you may get, as I did, the "Why do you care?" question more than once.

I don't know if I answered your questions, but I hope this at least helps.

Chris

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 06 Feb 2012, 13:09

Oh geez I forgot to put the towns down lol Sorry guys :)

Actually Abruzzo is one of the towns, so thank you for covering that one.

The towns that I am looking at are Bacoli(Napoli), Tito(Potenza, Basilicata), Navelli(L'Aquila, Abruzzo), Villabate(Palermo, Sicilia), and Marineo(Palermo). I've been working on my family tree for about 10 years and I'm only 22, so I've been able to gather a ton of information.

Italysearcher
Master
Master

Postby Italysearcher » 08 Feb 2012, 09:08

That's quite a trip if you are planning to go to all those places in one trip.
About one month before your trip write in Italian to the town where you hope to find records and let them know when you will be in town and what you are looking for. Names etc. They probably won't do anything but when you produce a copy of the letter it will remind them. If you don't speak Italian this is at least a start.
If you have already passed the civil record stage (1809) then do the same with the priest of the local parish church. He wont reply either but the town hall or the closest bar to the church should have his cell number. If that doesn't work, go to mass, arrive early and ask about a search after the mass. Some priests are so busy they go from one mass to another and he may not have time but he should give you an appointment to come back.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.wordpress.com
ANNOYING THE SAINTS - Stories of my Life in Italy. http://www.lulu.com/content/paperback-b ... ly/7731505

ibeirish
Rookie
Rookie

Postby ibeirish » 15 Feb 2012, 19:59

Thank you to everyone who have given me a ton of tips, they help a lot =)

Return to “Italian Genealogy”