Family occupations--shoemakers and an armiere

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Family occupations--shoemakers and an armiere

Postby lcafarel » 13 Feb 2012, 01:11

I have traced my husband's Cafarelli family line from New Jersey to Accettura in 1893, to Stigliano and Ferrandina in 1876, and from Ferrandina back to Laurenzana at the time his 4th ggrandfather was born, about 1755. Through all but the last Italian-born generation, the men in the family were shoemakers with one exception: my husband's 2nd ggrandfather (1821-before 1876) was an arms maker (armiere) in Ferrandina. After reading literally thousands of civil records, I think this is the only incidence of an armiere I have found.

I'm interested to know more about these occupations, their role and status in southern Italy at the time, and the circumstances that would lead one son to break from family tradition and gain the skills to become an arms maker. Also, what types of arms would have been made by a single craftsman in such a town?

If you have knowledge to share or can point me in the direction of some useful references, I'd be grateful. Thanks!

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Family occupations--shoemakers and an armiere

Postby lcafarel » 13 Feb 2012, 17:18

An interesting link on occupations: http://www.parcoappenninolucano.it/pagina.php?id=119.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”