What next?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
leetchie

What next?

Postby leetchie » 21 Feb 2012, 17:52

When looking through some of my grandfather's scrapbooks this week, I found his father's obituary from when he died in 1962. In it, it says that he was survived by a "sister in Italy." So, now I'm on a mission to find out who this sister is, if she had kids, and if I still have family over there. How do I proceed? Here's what I know:

Carmine DeMarco, born 1896 in Montella, Avellino, is my great-grandfather. From what I found on the microfilm, he had four sisters, two of them I can account for as they came to the US. I assume one of the other two is the one mentioned in the obit. The two I cannot account for are:

Nicola DeMarco, born April 1, 1889 in Montella, parents Angelo and Pasqualina Marino.
Maria Rosa DeMarco, born May 26, 1890 in Montella, same parents.

One of them must be the sister referred to in the obit and I'd like to find out which sister it was, was she married, had kids, any living descendants, etc. How do I go about this? What is the best way for me to go about this? I appreciate anyone's help - thank you!!!

-Mike

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: What next?

Postby Tessa78 » 21 Feb 2012, 21:06

leetchie wrote:When looking through some of my grandfather's scrapbooks this week, I found his father's obituary from when he died in 1962. In it, it says that he was survived by a "sister in Italy." So, now I'm on a mission to find out who this sister is, if she had kids, and if I still have family over there. How do I proceed? Here's what I know:

Carmine DeMarco, born 1896 in Montella, Avellino, is my great-grandfather. From what I found on the microfilm, he had four sisters, two of them I can account for as they came to the US. I assume one of the other two is the one mentioned in the obit. The two I cannot account for are:

Nicola DeMarco, born April 1, 1889 in Montella, parents Angelo and Pasqualina Marino.
Maria Rosa DeMarco, born May 26, 1890 in Montella, same parents.

One of them must be the sister referred to in the obit
and I'd like to find out which sister it was, was she married, had kids, any living descendants, etc. How do I go about this? What is the best way for me to go about this? I appreciate anyone's help - thank you!!!

-Mike

My guess is that Maria Rosa is the sister. Nicola is generally a masculine name.

You can write to the Comune of Montella...
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Ippolita Panico, 1
83048 Montella (AV)
ITALY

Help with letter
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

T.

leetchie

Re: What next?

Postby leetchie » 22 Feb 2012, 17:43

Thanks, T. You're right. I went back and looked at the record and Nicolo was a boy (not sure how I missed that the first time), so Maria Rosa must be the sister. I will write to the Commune and hope for the best. Thanks!

Return to “Italian Genealogy”