How to cite Tribunal birth document in Family Tree Maker

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1

How to cite Tribunal birth document in Family Tree Maker

Postby lcafarel » 22 Feb 2012, 00:35

I'm going through the sources and citations I've entered for my tree in Family Tree Maker to bring them in line with the guidelines in Elizabeth Mill's Evidence Explained. I have FTM 2010.

I'm using the Source template "Microfilm - FHL-GSU Preservation Copy (Courts & Governance, Image Copy), considering the source to be the microfilm, the source repository to be the FHL, and the record series to be the Italian records--e.g., "Atti di Nascita. Registri dello Stato Civile di Matera (Provincia), 1809-1925." I'm putting the FHL film number and record information in citation details. In the case of processetti, I'm citing processetti as documentation of the marriage and citing individual birth and death records in it as documentation for related facts.

My question has to do with how to format an "Estratto da registri sistenti nella Concelleria del Tribunale Civile di Basilicata, Potenza," that is in the processetti to establish a birth date when the birth record could not be found. Should I use "Estratto di registri . . ." as the source entry? Or is there something else that should be the record series and the Estratto entered into the citation detail? Any suggestions?

I'd also welcome more information on how the Tribunal functioned and the procedures it followed for determining a birth date, if that is known.

Thanks.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How to cite Tribunal birth document in Family Tree Maker

Postby lcafarel » 23 Feb 2012, 19:30

I see I have had several views, but no replies. To answer my own question and help anyone else in this situation, what I've decided to do is post a citation for the Estratto as a record in the processetti, linked to the particular processetti film as the source.

I'm still interested to know if anyone can point me to a reference on these tribunals. I've searched the web, but so far have come up empty.

Lesley
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy