Monica family in Prata di Principato Ultra

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
snelson1

Monica family in Prata di Principato Ultra

Postby snelson1 » 22 Feb 2012, 06:12

Hello,

My name is Stephanie Nelson, maiden name Monica. I have been doing some research on Ancestry.com and with what I know from my father and what I have found on Ancestry.com my great great grandfather was Domenico Alfonso Monica of Prata di Principato Ultra and his wife was, I believe, Angela Maria Gagliardi or Gagliardo and I believe she was from Naples. They immigrated to the US and lived in Massachusetts for at least 20 years if not more, some of the records don't quite match up but I'm sure I have the right people. According to my father and some of the documents they went back to Italy and supposedly died there. I believe they went back in 1923 or 24. Is there any way to possibly find out where and when they died in Italy. I believe it may have been in Naples. I'm not sure though. Thanks for your help in advance.

Stephanie

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Monica family in Prata di Principato Ultra

Postby adelfio » 22 Feb 2012, 20:14

I looked at their passport record U.S. Passport Applications, 1795-1925 Record issued May 29 1923 for Domenico A Monica with SICK WIFE Angela Gagliardi returning to the US from Naples Italy address was via Filippo Rega # 5 in Naples
click for record click to enlarge

Are you sure they died in Italy there is a ship manifest with Domenico Monica and Angela Monica living in Boston Mass coming from the port of Naples in 11 May 1930 on the ship Vulcania
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

snelson1

Postby snelson1 » 23 Feb 2012, 20:50

I'm pretty sure as I have found a passport application from their son Sabino who was going to visit his mother and father in Italy and I think that was in 1924. I think the ship manifest from 1930 was them coming for a visit and they put down their son's address. Also my father told me from what his father told him was that they moved back to Italy and died there. I have also found a family tree from a cousin on my great grandfather's wife's side of the family where they had noted that they went back to Italy and left their house for their son and his wife to deal with. I'll double check with my dad though.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Feb 2012, 21:35

Hi all,

It should be noted that the US passport application that Marty posted was actually applied for at the US Consulate in NAPLES (see bottom of the image) for a return to US.

There are additional pages to this record which I will post here for you.

This image is the second page of application (includes photo of Domenico and Angela), and a translation of a Medical Certificate from Naples indicating that Angela Monica is now well enough to travel. Dated August 1924

This image is an "Affidavit to Explain Protracted Foreign Residence and to Overcome Presumption of NONCITIZENSHIP"
In this record Domenico explains why he was in Italy for so long, and his desire, now that his wife is recovered, to return to US to "resume permanent residence," and to join his son.

The reverse side of this affidavit has the official "opinion" which states that Domenico "has not satisfactorily explained his protracted foreign residence and is not entitled to protection as an American Citizen. He owns no property in Italy."

Left side

Could it be that they intended to return to reside permanently in US, but may have lost their US Citizenship? If so, it would be interesting to check the 1930 manifest to see whether they are listed as US or Italian citizens.

EDIT: - The 1930 Manifest indicates that their passports were issued in 1928 in Washington, DC :-)
It would appear to me that he wanted to resume his residence in US...or he wouldn't have gone through all this... That's just my opinion. :)

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 23 Feb 2012, 21:57

Hi again, Stephanie :-)

I have also found a 1902 Boston Passenger List with Domenico Alfonso Monica...

He is 28, married, a tailor, from Prata.
He indicates that he has been in US before from 1898 - 1901
He also indicates that he is going to join
his brother - James Monica, 430 Commercial St. Boston, MA.
Maybe this James (an Americanization of Vincenzo) will offer some additional clues?

Line 12

T.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”