Lacovara families from San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilicata

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
heggar
Rookie
Rookie

Lacovara families from San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilicata

Postby heggar » 23 Feb 2012, 18:08

I am researching Lacovara families from San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilicata, Italy. Currently I am trying to obtain more information on the following ancestors:

Antonio Lacovara born circa 1800
"Don" Giuseppe Lacovara born circa 1815-1820
Clemenza /Clementina Lacovara born circa 1840
Francesca Lacovara born circa 1847
Filomena Lacovara born circa 1860

Thank you.

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Lacovara families from San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilica

Postby lcafarel » 23 Feb 2012, 19:13

Hi. How did you get your information? Do you have documentation (e.g., U.S. naturalization records) showing that these individuals were born in San Mauro Forte?

Lesley

heggar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby heggar » 23 Feb 2012, 19:54

Hi Lesley:

I have a family tree dating back to 1653. Some of the early info was handed down by the family. I am filling in the gaps and adding new branches to the tree by researching civil records from San Mauro Forte, which I obtained from the Family History Library while visiting Salt Lake City, Utah. I have many relatives doing family trees, and we share information.

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 24 Feb 2012, 01:26

Just replied to your private message, but that's great that you have documentation back that far.

You mentioned there that your family originated in Craco before going to San Mauro Forte. I'd be interested to know if you or one of your family was able to get the early records from the church in Craco and if you have any tips to share on that. Also, if you fina a Lacovara-Mastronardi connection in Craco, let me know. Thanks!

Lesley

heggar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby heggar » 24 Feb 2012, 17:19

Hi Lesley;

Our relatives in Italy recorded the early portion of the tree that dates back to 1653. I'm not sure whether they obtained records from the church in Craco. I believe a lot of the info was probably passed down through the family over the generations, and added to the tree.

Concerning a possible Lacovara-Mastronardi connection, according to my family, we have a cousin who married Enzo Mastronardi but he is not from Craco. He was born in San Mauro Forte and is still living.

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 24 Feb 2012, 19:28

As one whose family (both sides) has nothing from more than a couple generations ago (other than our genes!), that's amazing to me to have family records that survived from such an early date. You are very lucky!

Interesting to know about Enzo, too. I suspect that the Mastronardis in that area are all related.

Lesley

heggar
Rookie
Rookie

Postby heggar » 25 Feb 2012, 01:36

Lesley;

Yes, those early records are certainly a valuable family treasure to have.

Concerning the Mastronardis; I, too, suspect they could be related. I will ask my family about the names you gave me....who knows, we may be distant cousins!

Locovare

Postby Locovare » 11 Mar 2012, 23:05

Hi I am trying to locate my family in Basilicata, Italy. Their name was Locovare. Are we related?
Thanks Linda

lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lcafarel » 12 Mar 2012, 16:23

Hi, Linda.

I don't recall seeing that surname in Italian records, and a search on http://www.gens.info indicates that Locovare is not found as a surname in Italy. So, I suspect it's a variant of Lacovara that was changed after immigration. Are you in the U.S.? Canada?

We need a lot more information than a surname to find a connection. Do you know what town in Basilicata your family is from, or is that what you're trying to figure out? Do you have the names and dates of relatives who came from there? What research have you done?

Lesley

Return to “Italian Genealogy”