Vincenzo & Filomena Russo in Michigan 1930s

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ManiacMom

Vincenzo & Filomena Russo in Michigan 1930s

Postby ManiacMom » 24 Feb 2012, 03:58

I'm looking for information about a Vincenzo and Filomena Russo who lived in Michigan. We don't know all that much about them unfortunately.

I know there was a Vincenzo and Filomena Russo in Pennsylvania around the same time, but these are not the same people.

What we do know is:

Vincenzo Russo
B: 5 Nov 1892
D: 1 Jun 1961
Immigrated to US: 1912
Married: abt 1926
He was born in Palermo, Italy, although we don't know exactly where. By 1930, he was married to Filomena and living in Michigan. He lived in the Detroit and Dearborn areas. He died in Dearborn, Michigan.

Filomena Russo (maiden name unknown)
B: 17 Aug 1900
D: 17 Jan 1977
Immigration: 1920
Married: abt 1926
Unfortunately, we aren't sure what her maiden name was. Two possibilities we have found in our documentation are Licotta and Vacari, but neither of those have led anywhere. By 1930, she was married to Vincenzo and living in Michigan. She lived in the Detroit and Dearborn areas. She died in Dearborn, Michigan.

Vincenzo and Filomena had at least 5 children

Thomas Russo: B 20 Nov 1925
Joseph James Russo: B 15 Nov 1926
Rose Russo (Senchak): B 31 Mar 1928
Angelo Russo: B after 1930
Lillian Russo: B after 1930

If you know anything about this family, or any common relatives, please let me know.

Thanks!!

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Vincenzo & Filomena Russo in Michigan 1930s

Postby adelfio » 24 Feb 2012, 14:39

Did a little search possible United States, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
Vincenzo Russo Dearborn, Michigan says born in Palermo could be the city of Palermo,Palermo might try the birth index for the city of Palermo from Family History INDICI ALLE NASCITE DELLA CITTÀ DI PALERMO Index for births of the city of Palermo

Also the 1920 census could be Filomena middle name could be Rose
United States Census, 1920 for Vincent J Russo
Residence: Wayne, Michigan
Estimated Birth Year: 1894
Birthplace: Italy
Relationship to Head of Household:Son-in-law
Marital Status:Married
Household Gender Age
Vincent Esperti M 45y
Raffaela Esperti F 46y
Anthony A Esperti M 22y
William A Esperti M 17y
Elvira E Esperti F 15y
Vincent J Russo M 26y
Rose Russo F 19y

You can also try the Archivio di Stato di Palermo send a email
e-mail: as-pa@beniculturali.it

Archivio di Stato di Palermo
Egregi signori,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri.
I miei antenati provennero da Palermo,Palermo. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
Potreste cercare l’atto di nascita di questa persona nei vostri registri dal 1891 fino al 1894?
L’individuo seguente è il mio antenato. Quanto segue è tutto ciò che so di questa persona:
Nome e cognome: Vincenzo Russo
Data di nascita: 1892
Luogo di nascita Citta di Palermo
Nome e cognome del padre: incerto
Nome e cognome della madre: incerto
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,
YOURNAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Postby jamiecapaldi » 24 Feb 2012, 19:00

Good work Marty!
I have found Russo, Licata and Fundaro Surnames from Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily.
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk

ManiacMom

Postby ManiacMom » 24 Feb 2012, 20:23

Thanks for the help Marty!

I had found Vincenzo's WWII registration card, but wasn't sure that the birth city actually said Palermo. It's helpful that someone else thinks that's what it says too, we had always thought that was the region he was from.

The 1920s census is a possibility, but based on the 1930s I have for them things don't match up. That may not mean much though, as I've found on a different branch of my family where the some of the family members were a little 'loose' with facts. :D

According to the 1930s census info, Filomena immigrated to the US in 1920 and was born in Italy about 1900 (her prayer card gives her birth as 17 Aug 1900). So if that info is correct, I'm not sure she would be on a 1920s census.

The census also gives their ages at marriage as 33 for Vincenzo and 26 for Filomena, which puts them getting married in 1926 (between 18 Aug and 5 Nov) based on their birth dates. So I don't think they were married in 1920 either.

I find it all very confusing, and it makes tracing them back any further rather difficult at this point.

Thank you SO much for the email in Italian to send tot he Palermo State Archive, I will definitely try that!!

Thanks!!
Amanda

ManiacMom

Postby ManiacMom » 24 Feb 2012, 21:20

jamiecapaldi wrote:I have found Russo, Licata and Fundaro Surnames from Bagheria, Palermo, Sicily.

Her maiden name could definitely been Licata. The only references we have are her son James Russo's application for s social security number:

Filomena_maiden_name.jpg

(Sometimes her name was listed as Florance. She seemed to have gone by this 'Americanized' version of Filomena for a few decades.)

On his California Death index however, his mother's maiden name is listed as Vacari.

Michigan records can be a little difficult to get if you're not actually in Michigan. I'm in the process of trying to get newspaper and church records for Vincenzo and Filomena, so hopefully that will give us more insight on her name.

Thanks!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”