Aumendo, DiSanto, Accetta families from Salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Aumendo, DiSanto, Accetta families from Salerno

Postby dpgalante » 24 Feb 2012, 22:16

Hi Everyone, ciao a tutti,

I am seeking information on several related families from the Salerno area, particularly the Valle di Diana. These are the Aumendo, DiSanto, and Accetta families.

My paternal grandmother was born Rose Aumendo. Her parents were Carmine and Columbia (nee DiSanto or DiSanti). Columbia's mother was Rosa or Rosaria DiSanto (nee Accetta, I think).

I have found Rosa Accetta's immigration on a manifest from EllisIsland.org; I attached the document. She arrived in 1912 on a ship that left Napoli. Rosa is listed as Rosa Accetta, but DiSanto is scribbled in between, as if an afterthought. Her son is Francesco DiSanto, so I suppose that is her married name; would widows revert to their born name after husbands passed away?

This document has given me a great deal of information. It told me her last residence and her place of birth: Sala Consilina and Atene Lucana, respectively. These towns are in the Valle di Diana in Salerno.

Rosa joined her son Francesco DiSanto in Philadelphia and left her daughter Columbia in Sala Consilina. Columbia was already married, and had been since she was 15 to Carmine, who himself was closer to his mother-in-law's age. They had a son, Michele, who was born in Italy in 1901. They must have emigrated to America after 1912 to join Rosa.

Eventually the family settled in Camden, NJ. That's where they appear in the 1930 Census, also attached. Carmine died quite young (1923). Like many in Camden, most of the family worked at Campbell's Soup. Rosa's tombstone says that she was born 15 June 1859 and died 17 June 1935.

One thing that has always confused me is that the name Aumendo appears almost no where else. For example, on http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/, a search for the name returns "cognome non trovato." I have long suspected that the name was changed, either deliberately by the Aumendos, or accidentally, as many anecdotes say was often the case with foreigners coming to America.

In any case, I was wondering if anyone had information regarding these people or the towns they came from, or suggestions on where to go for documents and information. Below is a brief entry on all the important information on these individuals Thank you very much in advance!

Rosa/Rosaria DiSanto (nee Accetta), 15 June 1859 - 17 June 1935. Born in Atene Lucana, lived in Sala Consilina (Kingdom of the Two Sicilies/Kingdom of Italy); emigrated to USA 1912, lived in Camden, NJ.

Columbia Aumendo (nee DiSanto), 23 March 1884 - 14 May 1968. Probably born in Atene Lucana or Sala Consilina (Kingdom of Italy); emigrated to USA after 1912, lived in Camden, NJ

Carmine Aumendo, 9 March 1866 - 27 March 1923. Probably born in Atene Lucana or Sala Consilina (Kingdom of the Two Sicilies/Kingdom of Italy); emigrated to USA after 1912; lived in Camden, NJ.

Francesco DiSanto. No birth or death dates known. Son of Rosa Accetta. Listed on ship's manifest as living at 536 Montrose Street, Philadelphia, Penna., in October of 1912.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dpgalante

Re: Aumendo, DiSanto, Accetta families from Salerno

Postby PippoM » 25 Feb 2012, 23:38

Hi,
I can say just two things:
- Italian women keep their maiden name all of their life
- in Italian White Pages I found surname Aumento; it seems to be very rare (3 occurrences), but one is in Sassano, Vallo di Diano
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical searches in Italy.
Translation of your old documents and letters.
Legal assistance for your Italian citizenship.
PippoM
Master
Master

Postby dpgalante » 27 Feb 2012, 12:58

Dear Sig. Moccaldi,

Thank you for your response. The information you provided is very helpful. I did not know about the Pagine Bianche. Since the name is so rare, and because it occurs near Sala Consilina and Atena Lucana, the Aumento from Sassano may be related to me.

Thank you once again!
dpgalante

Postby Atenese » 20 Mar 2014, 20:02

The surname Accetta is found in Atena. DiSanti is a very common name. In the 1700s and early 1800s it was written Di Santo, but is now commonly DiSanti. The name you wrote as Colombia is actually Colomba, and is a name that is strictly from Atena Lucana. It means dove, and it refers to a purported miracle that happened in Atena in which the Virgin Mary appeared to a villager and transformed into a dove.

Ciao
Atenese

Postby pink67 » 22 Mar 2014, 16:53

Columbia Aumendo (nee DiSanto), 23 March 1884 - 14 May 1968. Probably born in Atene Lucana or Sala Consilina (Kingdom of Italy); emigrated to USA after 1912, lived in Camden, NJ

This is the 1914 arrival manifest for Colomba :

page 1:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0021

She was listed as Di Santi Colomba Aumenta? and was travelling with two child: Michele male age 12 and Anna female age 9. She was joining her husband Carlo Aumenta in Phila. Place of birth Atena but place of last residence in Italy Sala Consilina.
Most likely the correct married name was Aumenta

Laura
pink67
Master
Master

Postby dpgalante » 31 Mar 2014, 02:35

Thank you very much. I had found this manifest before, and it has been very helpful in finding some information. The change of spelling from Aumenta to Aumendo is very curious though.
dpgalante

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to Italian Genealogy