John and Jennie Martarello/Martorello lived in N.Y.C. in 30s

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
momof6angels12

John and Jennie Martarello/Martorello lived in N.Y.C. in 30s

Postby momof6angels12 » 17 Mar 2012, 00:39

I am looking for information on my great-great grandparents, John and Jennie Martarello. The only information I can find is that they were living in New York during the 1930 U.S. Census. John was born around 1903 in Italy. Jennie was born around 1909 in Italy. I am unsure of her maiden name. If anyone can help any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time, Khrysti

Edit to add:

Expand view
Martorello, Martarello Family

Unread post Posted by momof6angels12 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi all! New to this site. I'm constructing my family tree for my children and am having a bit of a time finding records. I've traced my father's family only back to his grandparents who were John and Jennie Martarello. D.O.B. approximate year of 1903 and 1909 respectively. Both were born in Italy. First child born was Mary, D.O.B. approximate year 1903. After that, there isn't enough info and nothing online that gives me a clear link beyond my great-grandparents. I do know my great-grandpa immigrated to New York and came through Ellis Island as I personally saw the name on the wall. The name may have originally been spelled Martorello but is now spelled Martarello. Any help, ideas or info. anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated!! My triplets are getting older and asking questions about family and sadly, I don't have much to give them but would like to change that. Thanks so much and take care! ;) Khrysti

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: John and Jennie Martarello/Martorello lived in N.Y.C. in

Postby Tessa78 » 18 Mar 2012, 16:50

Hello Khrysti :-)

Is this your family - 1930 living in Brooklyn?
John is listed as a chauffer/driver. He and Jennie list their immigration year as 1921...

1930 United States Federal Census

Name: Jennie Martorello
Birth Year: abt 1909
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1930: Brooklyn, Kings, New York
View Map
Marital Status: Married
Immigration Year: 1921
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Spouse's Name: John Martorello
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
John Martorello 27
Jennie Martorello 21
Mary Martorello 4
Angelo Martorello 2

Click once to enlarge and again to magnify

T.

momof6angels12

Postby momof6angels12 » 02 Apr 2012, 01:22

Hi Tessa!

Sorry, I just saw your post today and YES! That's them! ;D Thank you! With the spelling variations and being unsure if John was Giovanni, I can't get any further than that. :x I've gotten the names of all of their children including the two listed on the census, Angelo, Mary, Rosie, Janet, John Phillip II (my grandpa)and Joey. Thank you so much for your help. I'm hoping I'm closer but need to make sure his wife's name was actually Jennie, though we can clearly see it's Jennie on the census you found apparently the census takers didn't confirm if those names are given names, nicknames or middle names, and determine if maybe he went by Giovanni in Italy. Thank you again! ;) Have a great day! Khrysti

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Apr 2012, 16:25

Hi Khrysti :-)

Can you provide any other details?

Where and when did John and Jennie die?

As for Jennie's given name, it's a good bet that her name was Giovanna.
And, John is the Americanized version of Giovanni :-)

T.

Tessa78
Master
Master

Postby Tessa78 » 06 Apr 2012, 16:38

Found this newspaper story from 1949 about the death of a John Martarello, 46, truck driver... could this be your ancestor? It identifies his place of residence as Hicksville, NY.

Fourth column after Potato story (small piece titled "Found Dead in Truck")

http://www.fultonhistory.com/Newpapers% ... hForm=C%3a\inetpub\wwwroot\Fulton_New_form.html&.pdf

T.

adelfio
Master
Master

Postby adelfio » 06 Apr 2012, 16:51

POSSIBLE SHIPMANIFEST going to Brooklyn leaving father Sebasitano Martorelli in Roggiano Gravina
New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
Name:Giovanni Martorelli
Arrival Date:14 Oct 1922
Birth Year:abt 1900
Birth Location:Italy
Birth Location: Roggiano Gravina is a town and comune in the province of Cosenza in the Calabria region of southern Italy.
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality:Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure:Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival:New York, New York
Ship Name:Guglielmo Peirce

Click for record click to enlarge pg1 #24

Click for record click to enlarge pg2 #24

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

ram1949

Re: John and Jennie Martarello/Martorello lived in N.Y.C. in 30s

Postby ram1949 » 17 Aug 2015, 15:13

hi Khrysti,
not exactly sure who you are but, my name is Bob Malon. I live in Lima, Ohio and I am 66 years old. I am the oldest son of Mary, oldest daughter of the people you are inquiring about, John and Jennie Martarello, who were my grandparents. Jennie's maiden name was Sanzone. Post a reply if you want to talk further with me.

Return to “Italian Genealogy”