Beginer Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.

Beginer Help

Postby MickyMosey » 18 Mar 2012, 21:08

I was wondering if anyone could give me some help and / or advice.

I am trying to research my mothers side of the family. Her Father was Nino Lazzari born on 31st July 1891 in S. Ambrogio di Valpolicella, Verona, and her mother was Irma Maria Manstretta born on 15th August 1909 in Voghera, Pavia, Lombardia, Italy. I have what I understand are accurate details for my grandfathers parents birth and death details (Giovanni Lazzari Born 20th March 1861 Borgo a Mozzano, Lucca, Toscana, Italy and Italina Vaccari Born 15th August 1869 Ronco Ferraro). I however do not have any details for my grandmothers parents except for names (Giuseppe Manstretta and Giuseppina Agosti).

I don't have any copies of records (Birth, Marriage or Death) for either side (my grandfather or grandmothers side), and from what I could gather looking at the Family History Centre in London my great grandparents details may not be in civil records as it appears they started shortly after they were born.

Any suggestions for finding out more details? Am I correct in understanding that Italian records quite often have a lot of information on them about previous generations (not just the persons parents), i.e. grandparents. If this is so, is it then worth trying to get hold of my grandparents birth, Marriage or death certificates? Surely Birth or Marriage certificates would be the most useful.

Also once I have these and if I find some more useful information what would be the best next move. I do occassionaly visit Italy and so there may be the possibility of me going somewhere to get more information (although my Italian is limited).

Any suggestions, help or advice would be much appreciated. :D

Return to “Italian Genealogy”