Publishing Using Others Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Publishing Using Others Info

Postby Fugie » 20 Mar 2012, 14:42

It has come to my attention that a relative to whom I gave genealogy info to help her son do a school project has entered my information on a website with her as the owner. There is no reference to me as a researcher nor did she ask for my permission to post my research. It took me about 11 to 12 years to compile this information along with the expenses of ordering microfilm, making copies and translating these documents from Italian to English. It is upsetting to see someone else take credit for the work I invested.

How do the rest of my fellow genealogists feel about someone using data researched by someone else? Am I being overly sensitive? Is it proper for me to contact this person and let her know I feel slighted in not being acknowledged or credited with this information?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mary Lou

adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Publishing Using Others Info

Postby adelfio » 20 Mar 2012, 15:55

Mary Lou
If you feel slighted tell her you would like credit for all your hard research work and tell her the time and money you have spent researching.
I have compiled alot of info about my family history but I have shared it without no feelings about being recogonized for my research work I know what I have done in my heart is a great feeling to go back as far as I have gone and I thought maybe along the way someone will have something to add that maybe I have missed. The magical word is SHARING in Italian Genealogy

Marty Adelfio
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty

Biff83
Master
Master

Postby Biff83 » 20 Mar 2012, 16:08

Marty,

I agree about what you said about sharing. But the very least Mary Lou's relative could have done was to recognize and thank her for sharing the information.

Mary Lou,

Your relative owes you an apology--big time. I'd call him/her up and let him/her know how you feel and that you'd appreciate if you were properly credited for your work.

Biff
"To dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands"

Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Postby Fugie » 20 Mar 2012, 16:49

Thank you so much for your responses. I know that sharing my finds with family members is the true reason for my research and that is why I was happy to share my information with them. However, my feeling were greatly hurt when the person publized this information under her own name without any credit for my research.

Again, thank you for your responses.

Mary Lou

trevisan2
Elite
Elite

Postby trevisan2 » 20 Mar 2012, 17:08

I agree that you should talk to the person that has offended you. I would feel the same, if it happened to me.

I find my self in a simular situation of trying to find a way to share my life long gathering of Italian research, come 400,000 names, very well organized into parishes.

I have been impressed with FAMILY SEARCH and their "TREES" division.

While I have spent 1000's of dollars on my research, travels, cameras, computers, I also realize that my research can help many, many other people that do not have the means, or access to the records.

One parish that I had translated out completly, was Cimetta, Codogne, Treviso, Italy. A very small place where my grandmother came from. It turned out to be 17,000 names.

Over the past few years, over 10 people have Thanked me for providing them with being able to connect to their Italian roots. These people live in France, Italy, Brazil, Argentina and Wales.

I look at all the good that FAMILY SEARCH PROVIDES.

Microfiom records
Digitizing of records
Indexing of records

Its all done to help out others.

I want to personall thank all the good people at Italian genealogy that give of their time, and talents helping sharing with each other.

Regards,
Dave Biasi aka Trevisan2
Researching in the provience of Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO

Surnames Melchiori of Oderzo, TV, Vendrame of TV, Rossi of Rai di San Polo, Bonotto of TV.

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 23 Mar 2012, 17:28

We all take the risk of something like happening [unfortunately] whenever we share information. In the future I would advise you ask prior to sharing information how if will be used and set boundaries. Also facts can not be copyrighted regardless [that's not to say morally and ethically what your relative did was correct] but the compilation CAN be copyrighted. This is why anyone who shares trees online like to ancestry needs to beware.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

c6mitchell
Rookie
Rookie

Postby c6mitchell » 24 Mar 2012, 00:26

I understand the pain. Nuccia, please explain how compilation CAN be copyrighted when you have a moment.

I have willingly shared with many people and also have typed for various genealogy sites. Strangers who became friends have helped with my research. I have met living family I never knew about. This has been a wonderful rewarding journey. I did have a bump in the road meeting one individual who I shared information with and this person has recorded it incorrectly on MANY genealogy sites. Yes, I have contacted this person to no avail. She has my father married to someone I never heard of so all I can do is paste post-its on each one I find. I try to ignore the other errors. Don't let one person discourage you.

Carolyn

nuccia
Staff
Staff

Postby nuccia » 24 Mar 2012, 07:28

I'll try to explain what I can remember. We all post images of census info etc from ancestry, right? Images, pictures, etc over I believe 98 years old have no copyright and the fair use policy come ins. One census, one it's own isn't a problem but lets say you took all the images [or information on people]from ancestry and presented it EXACTLY as they have it and as your own work then you are violating copyright. Obits is another one - if you copy an obit in it's totally entirety and not change even one word then you have technically violated copyright. You can only post images, etc to either criticize, review or teach about it. Of course it's more complex than this but I'm trying to paraphrase. I remember when I first starting researching here I Googled it for hours and even called ancestry's legal department for clarification on acceptable free use policies. Oh and just an FYI - I had a distant cousin who did exactly the same thing to me recently and she won't return my emails either. I've cut my losses [and her] and moved on because it's just not worth the aggravation. But I am definitely much more careful about what I share about my personal family and who I share it with.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Gente di Mare
Gente Italian Genealogy Forum
Extractions of various Comuni in Reggio

Return to “Italian Genealogy”