Trying to find Burgo and Sparola??? Dead end-please help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Trying to find Burgo and Sparola??? Dead end-please help

Post by swcolleen »

Ok...so here are two photos, the one of TWO people IS Luigi and Antonia. The one of the FOUR is Michele and Rosaria's wedding and their witnesses.

According to my grandmother's cousin, the photo of the FOUR is luigi, antonia, michele and rosaria. I am not convinced. If you ask me...I don't think it is antonia in the photo and I am not convinced its luigi either...what does anyone else think???

Photo 1-Luigi and antonia's wedding:

Photo 2-

Am I crazy? or are the two people in question different?

THanks!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Even taking into consideration that weight loss can change the appearance
of ones face, as well as maturity, the bottom picture does not look like
Antonia, hard to tell with Luigi.

Just my opinion.....great photos!!!!!!

wldspirit
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thanks wldspirit! That is what I am thinking. I think its tough with Luigi b/c he was younger than michele and so he could have aged but that woman is not antonia.

Thanks!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

no problem :D

wldspirit
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

It looks like 3 different men and 3 different women. I hope you have these framed. These are really nice photos. The marriage certificate is also worth framing. Love the script.
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thanks all. My mom and I agree with think they are different.

I do know the one photo of the two is framed-my grandmother's sister has it. I scanned it in to make a print for my grandmother. The pic of the four of them my grandmothers cousin has, I don't know if she keeps it framed or not but I scanned it in and the marriage cert is lamenated (my grandmothers sister has it)

I have to say that I thank goodness for technology. because I have a laptop and a small scanner that is portable, I was able to take my stuff to my grandmother's cousin's house and scan in some old photos and documents and be able to preserve them forever now digitally! Who knows where the originals will end up someday.

Stay safe everyone...we are gonna be covered in snow here!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Trish, I appreciate your information about the marriage lic.
If your grandparents were married between 1885-1915 in Philadelphia, you would have to look up the Marriage Lic # in the Index and then you can order the microfilm for the marriage Lic at your local Family History Center. Or go to the City Archives of Phila to look it up. (I suggest FHC first - it's easier and cheaper).
I do have the date of marriage of someone of interest... church unknown.

Marriage: 26 AUG 1899 in Uniontown,Fayette County,Pennsylvania.

I'm not in either NJ or PA, how can I get the Lic#? or where do I research this from? Would the FHC film actually have a copy of this marriage information? Would it also include parental information?

Any advice would really help a me, and a few others researching this.
All the best,
mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

It seems Antonia Sferrolla's parents were Nicola (is that nicholas?) and Domenica Bonelli. I have still not been able to find out when ANY of them (luigi, michele or antonia) actually arrived in US but I know that it had to be before 1906 b/c I belive michele and his wife were married in nov 1906 and according to my grandmother's cousin, luigi and antonia were the witnesses. I belive luigi was but i am not convinced on antonia yet b/c she was youngest.
Luigi's manifest just in case you didn't see it, but you may have since you already knew the year he arrived. He arrived just before someone's wedding... off to be with his brother Michele who may have arrived in 1903. (i already linked on a previous post). It mentions on the manifest that Luigi has some scars... one on the right forehead, and the other -right lip... and 4'11' NO - make it 5'!

First Name: Luigi
Last Name: Burgo
Ethnicity: Italian, Italian South
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: October 01, 1906
Age at Arrival:  20y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Algeria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0030

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 2300070356
mfjp
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

mfjp-you are so much better at reading those manifests than me! The problem I was running into was my grandmothers' cousin husband swearing they arrived as kids 9 and 11. Neither my mom or myself think that is true since according to my grandmother, michele came first then sent for luig-which according to the ellis island lists DOES match up. Are you able to tell from the manifest he came for a wedding? That would match up if he came in OCT since michele and rosaria were maried in nov. My grandmothers cousin said that Luigi was a witness for the wedding too. I still can't find when and where antonia came over...I need to sit down and browse some lists b/c I think she might have been sent for by an aunt (my grandmother mentioned something like this before) ...thanks for the help!!!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Long shot....

I have been looking for Antonia. I did a search of all the Antonia's from Salandra, and the only one who came close was one that arrived 1 month after Luigi... but the last name is ????... I don't know.. If you scribbled it even more... it could look like Sferolla. Opinions on this would be nice.

I am having a bit of trouble with the place she would be going to. it does look like "hamden"? N.Y.?? That's another thing... is it NJ, PA, or NY?
She would be going to Vincenzo's home (brother)????

She also has a scar on the neck and 8" taller than Luigi :lol:

First Name: Antonia (Born about 1885)
Last Name: Cafarello
Ethnicity: Italian, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Salandra, Potenza
Date of Arrival: November 05, 1906
Age at Arrival:  21y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Perugia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0014

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2320030074&

Maybe you and your Mom have researched this a lot more than your Nonna's cousins husband. Trust your instincts and the data found on the internet.

mfjp

these are the Antonia's from Salandra

...alma,Antonia Salandra, Italy 1910  age... 19
2 Cafarello,Antonia Salandra, Potenza 1906  21
3 DINELLA,ANTONIA SALANDRA 1905  8   
4 Dinella,Antonia Salandra 1905  8
5 Ferruzzi,Antonia Salandra 1907  18   
6 Lucchetti,Antonia Ma Salandra, Italy 1910  18   
7 Onorato,Antonia Salandra, Italy 1907  22
8 Pantone,Antonia Salandra, Italy 1907  17 
9 Perlata,Antonia Salandra 1907  19
10 Tenerelli,Antonia Salandra 1906  9
11 Visceglia,Antonia Salandra 1906  23 
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thanks mfjp! Its definatly possible...Let me look over a few things...I think she was born in 1889 or 1890 according to the math but we do think she came over AFTER luigi, my grandmother always said he sent for her but we aren't sure. and Hamden NY-could it be CAMDEN NJ? That is where they ended up living. Michele and Rosario were married in Phila but Antonia and luigi got married in camden in 1909.

Thanks for looking...who knows...we might be on to something...the only thing that really stands out as not matching up is the year she was born but maybe they got it wrong? or she lied? or its not her...who knows! I will see if I can figure out any other way to match up to this one!Thanks so much!!
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

mfjp-I don't know if that one would work-do you think the height could be wrong? In the photo luigi and antonia look the same size but I guess he could have grown by the wedding too??

Really long shot but are you able to figure out anything ont he manifest for this one:

8) Pantone,Antonia Salandra, Italy 1907 17 ?? I know the name REALLY doesn't match but the 1907 arrival (after luigi) but before 1909(when they were married) and her age at arrival match up....

does anyone know if there would be any reason why she would lie about her age on arrival? I dont know if this occured or not but especially if she traveled alone? (Which I don't know if she did) but if she was sent for by an aunt, and possibly traveled with aunt or others, do you think its possible the names got goofed? Just some wild theories!!

Thanks so much for the help!!
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

OH and I think it was around 1907 (or what looked like 1907) she arrived based on a census we had-i will see if I can find where I found that....
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi,
On the last manifest link posted by mfjp I think the final destination is Camden NJ. Just my opinion. HOpe is might help.

Debbie
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I saw that one too. (Pantone) It mentions a sister "Teresa" on next page, and father is Giuseppe.

About height... the second couple in that photograph...to the right... if the woman was to stand up... I think she would be a lot taller than her partner.

mfjp

I guess his wedding band didn't fit either...

I keep looking at the photographs.. since finding that recent manifest (if indeed that manifest is the right one).. what if it was Luigi (5' tall) and Antonia 5'8?? .... You did mention earlier that someone said that Luigi and Antonia were the ones on the right... scars anywhere?

Thank you Debbie!