Trying to find Burgo and Sparola??? Dead end-please help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Trying to find Burgo and Sparola??? Dead end-please help

Post by swcolleen »

well i don't think its antonia is the woman in the picture of the four of them luigi wouldn't be married yet.

i don't think tat other antonia is her either than since we know from her marriage certificate that her dad was nicolas...hmmm...do you think she could have come in under a different name??? I think her aunts name was Gallo but I am not sure (this is from memory not anything concrete-i dont have my notes in front of me)....

thanks!!
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Ok for my own sanity sake this thread has been good for me to keep track of some information.

I spoke with my grandmothers younger sister today and she told me this information:

She believed her mother (antonia) to have arrived at age 18 or 19 which would be 1908 or 1909 (give or take of course!)

We do know that Antonia was married in FEB of 1909 and her birthday I believe is in August so it is possible she arrived in 1907 at age 17 too...(just theory)

What I learned was that Antonia's GOD MOTHER was living in US and had no children at the time (might have had a son later though according to my grandmother) but she had asked antonia's mother if she could send her over here since she had another daughter in italy (they were really poor in italy). The Godmother's name was Gallo (or some spelling of it) and lived in Camden.

What this means to me is that Gallo is not a blood relative but was close to the family and was the person who sent for Antonia.

Also-my thought is that maybe this Gallo family knew of Luigi and wanted to marry her off to him...just a thought-no evidence of that.

My grandmother's sister is also pretty sure that Antonia DID come through Ellis.

I am wondering if Antonia went by Nettie or Antoinette when she came through ellis? Still not finding Sferrolla but gonna keep looking!

Thanks all for reading!
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote: Marriage: 26 AUG 1899 in Uniontown,Fayette County,Pennsylvania.

I'm not in either NJ or PA, how can I get the Lic#? or where do I research this from? Would the FHC film actually have a copy of this marriage information? Would it also include parental information?

Any advice would really help a me, and a few others researching this.
All the best,
mfjp
Dear Mfjp,

Here is the address for Fayette County, PA

Fayette County Register of Wills Office
61 East Main Street
Uniontown, PA 15401-3514
(724) 430-1206 or (724) 430-1200
hours: 8:00-4:30

It should be $5.00 for a Marriage Certificate, however, ask them if it is extra for the Marriage Application. You want the Marriage Application so when you write your letter make sure you state you want the Marriage Application and the Marriage Certificate. Most Counties charge about $10 extra for the Marriage Application.

Any other questions, just ask.

Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

brujaojos wrote:
swcolleen wrote:I definatly want to see about getting the marriage certificate but it sounds like according to my grandmother that Luigi and Antonia maybe have been married in Philadelphia not Camden-yikes! I will keep digging!!
Hi,

If your grandparents were married before 1940 in New Jeresy, then you would go to the New Jersey State Archives in Trenton, NJ. They have everything on microfilm and the records are arranged by year and then each year is in alphabetical order. The people up there are very helpful.

If your grandparents were marriend between 1885-1915 in Philadelphia, you would have to look up the Marriage Lic # in the Index and then you can order the microfilm for the marriage Lic at your local Family History Center. Or go to the City Archives of Phila to look it up. (I suggest FHC first - it's easier and cheaper).

I have access to the Phila Index 1885-1915 and will look it up on Wednesday and let you know if they were married there.

Have a good one.
Trish
Dear Colleen,

I checked the Phila Marriage Index. I did not find a Michele (Michael) Burgo in the index. However, I did find a Rosaria Lamarra, but I cannot say for sure that this is your Rosaria.

The index is as follows:

Rosaria Lamarra - married 1906 - license #205370 - Groom's Surname Bario

Now it could be a mis-spelling for Burgo. You have to remember that someone was transcribing those records a long time ago. It could be yours, but I cannot say for sure without ordering the original microfilm for the the marriage certificate/application.

If you were to go to your nearest Family History Center (LDS), you can order Microfilm #1276801 for $3.50. When the film comes in, you scroll down to license #205370 and you will get the marriage certificate and marriage application. Then you can print out the copies for about 35cents to about 50cents depending on your FHC copying charge.

I hope this helps.
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Trish Thanks for looking! That is in fact the correct Rosaria Lamarra. I was able to get a copy of the marriage certificate from Michele's youngest daughter the other day and on there where Michele signed his name it looks like Borio-we thought that odd but it looks like it was just his handwriting.

Thanks so much for checking. Thanks for the microfilm numbers though-that will be helpful in trying to locate the marriage application.

Thanks!!
giovinmarans

Post by giovinmarans »

swcolleen wrote:Hello all (or anyone who is interested!) I just spent the afternoon with my grandmother and her cousin trying to put some stuff together. Accoding to my grandmother's cousin's husband who swears he has this information correct b.c they used to talk when they lived with them...so this is the new info that I have come up with...

According to my grandmother's cousin's husband...Michele and Luigi Burgo acrually came over at age 9 and 11 -together-because they were orphaned. We don't know who sponsored them but they came over here from Salandra to live in Philadelphia. We had thought they came over when they were much older and that Micheal had sponsored luigi but this new info changes all that. We do know that they never wanted to go back to italy because they had no one there. I am thinking maybe they were orphaned after their parents were in some accident or something since they had no other family there but that is just my speculation. I DO know they were orphaned in Italy but that is it.

I was also able to see the church's marriage cert for Luigi and Antonia. Here is an image of the names as they were written on the certificate-maybe someone can decifer if we are WAY off on the actual spelling...

and just for kicks here is their wedding photo:

I also learned that luigi's brother Michele, was naturalized in 1922 at age 39 and that he died at age 90 in 1973 which means he was born 1883. If he came over when he was 9 then that would be they came over aprox 1892. Now we always thought that Michele was the older brother but tofay I was told Luigi was the older brother which puts him at age 11 when they came over. This doesn't quite add up with the wedding date and such so I still think that Michele was the older brother and Luigi the younger brother which would mean that if Michele was born in 1883, they came over in 1894...there is definatly a margin of error and since not every numer seems to match up completely correctly. For example, based on death date and naturalization date I am pretty sure about Michele's birth year BUT according to Luigi marriage certif he was 22 in 1909 which makes him born in 1887 -a 4 year difference between the brothers not a 2 year difference. It also states Antonia was 19 in 1909 meaning she should be born in 1890 which is what I think I had previousl-I have to heck my notes.

Does anyone know the margin of error on birth years?

Ok....sorry for going on and on...just trying to get my thoughts together.

If anyone has any idea for sure on the name I posted in the pic above I would so appreciate it!

Thanks!!
Colleen[/b]