Giuseppe Maciariello First Ship Manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Biff83
Master
Master

Giuseppe Maciariello First Ship Manifest

Post by Biff83 »

Well, wouldn't you know it. I got my first request for genealogical help from a patron at the library where I volunteer, and have had no luck finding his grandfather's ship manifest. I thought I'd post what background he gave me to see if anyone else might have better luck. I also have done a line by line read of the manifest mentioned below to no avail.

"I have researched my grandfather and his family for about 30 years, with the Italians to America series of books, at the Ellis Island website and at Ellis Island, at the Mormon Church Family History Libraries in Ft Myers, in Plattsburgh NY and in Salt Lake City, the Morris County (NJ) Library, the Morristown (NJ) Public Library. I lived with, or very near to, my grandparents for the first 36 years of my life. I’ve corresponded with the village of Pietramelara, Italy in Italian and have visited there. I have never seen a Passenger List.

There is a second Giuseppe Maciariello that you should know about, my grandfather’s first cousin,who is 3 years older, born 1873, arrived in the US 2/5/1903 aboard the SS Lombardia..

My grandfather was born Giuseppe Maciariello (pronounced Mah-cha-rel’-lo) on 9/20/1876, in Pietramelara, Caserta, Campania, Italy, about 50 miles north of Naples. Several of his documents say that he came to the US 3/22/1895 aboard the Normannia, most probably boarding at Naples. I’ve gone over the manifest innumerable times and have never found his name or any name like it.

My grandfather had 4 brothers, all of whom immigrated to the US and ended up in northern NJ.

Family oral tradition says he arrived at NYC in 1895, at age 19. Family oral tradition goes on to say that for a while, he lived in NYC and worked as a gardener in Tuxedo Park, NY. Family oral tradition goes on to say that about 1899 he moved to Montville NJ (about 25 miles from NYC) to work at a quarry.

On 9/11/1899 he filed his first papers with a NY State court, giving his date of entry to the US as 5/22/1895. There is no attached, supporting documentation for that date.

On 2/6/1903 he filed his second papers with a NJ court, same date, no documentation.

On 3/22/03 he filed his final application in Morristown NJ.

On 4/2/1903 he was declared a US Citizen.

On 8/4/1904, on a passport application, he said that he arrived in the US 3/13/1895, aboard the Normandy (there was an SS La Normandie) from Naples. He was going back to Pietramelara to find a wife.
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6818/maciariello.jpg

On 11/15/1904, he left the US for Naples aboard the Prinz O)scar.

On 11/29/1904 he arrived in Naples.

On 1/19/1905 (civil) and 1/21/1905 (church), he married Ernestina Maria Christina Lambiase, my grandmother.

On 1/27/1905, in Rome, my grandmother became a US citizen by virtue of having married a US citizen. On this paperwork it says my grandfather arrived in the US aboard the Normania on 3/13/1895.

On 2/28/1905 my grandparents left Naples for NYC, to live in Montville NJ. They arrived in NYC on 3/15/1905 as US citizens in a 2nd class cabin, aboard the Cretic.

My grandparents continued to live in Montville NJ, at the same location that my grandfather had left, then about 1908 moved to a second location in Montville. About 1910, they moved to Mechanic St in nearby Boonton NJ. About 1918 the 5 brothers changed their surname to Marcello. About 1924 my grandparents moved to Division St Boonton, where they lived for the rest of their lives.

My grandfather never returned to Italy. In 1931 my grandmother and her oldest son returned to Pietramelara for an extended visit."

Thanks,
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
vj
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Maciariello First Ship Manifest

Post by vj »

Tough one Biff
This is as close as I could get, one year off and a possible misspelling?
I don't think Manariello is a valid surname?
Valarie

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/333/1895y.jpg

Name: Giuseppe Manariello Arrival Date: 24 Mar 1896 Birth Year: abt 1877 Age: 19 Gender: Male Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian Port of Departure: Naples, Italy Port of Arrival: New York, New York Ship Name: Normannia
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Valarie,

Thanks for checking. There's a lot of coincidental evidence that points to this being the right manifest--approximate yob, ship name, month of arrival, first name and a pretty close surname. Too bad it's one of the manifests that don't show last residence. I've been checking the other surnames on the page to see if they are from Pietramelara but no luck. I'm going to pass on your find to the person to get his thoughts.

Thanks again, and best to you and your Mom.

Un abbraccio,
Biff
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Thanks Biff!
I wish we could give your person more concrete information. I'm missing a couple of manifests from the same period with only likely candidates until something better comes along.
Valarie
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

vj wrote:Thanks Biff!
I wish we could give your person more concrete information. I'm missing a couple of manifests from the same period with only likely candidates until something better comes along.
Valarie
I've also got a couple of those but recently was able to locate my ggrandfather Antonio Mancuso's first manifest. The surname was so poorly written and misindexed that I never would have found it except that sometime in the last six or seven months someone else on Ancestry found the same manifest and submitted an alternate spelling.

Biff
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Biff that's terrific! That's a great feature on ancestry. Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Biff,
the surname spelling, Maciariello is right
here the marriage bann
until now I cannot find the first arrival of Giuseppe

on the marriage bann, Giuseppe Maciariello declared that was drafted for military service as soldier of 3° category ( so free of military service;he no made the military service ).. because another brother already made it ..
maybe the Giuseppe Manariello arrival found by Valarie( hi Valarie! :D ) could be right ... regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

suanj wrote:Hi Biff,
the surname spelling, Maciariello is right
here the marriage bann
until now I cannot find the first arrival of Giuseppe

on the marriage bann, Giuseppe Maciariello declared that was drafted for military service as soldier of 3° category ( so free of military service;he no made the military service ).. because another brother already made it ..
maybe the Giuseppe Manariello arrival found by Valarie( hi Valarie! :D ) could be right ... regards,
suanj
Hi suanj!
You have a great record find for Biff's researcher. :D
Valarie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Thanks Valarie, I am sure that the arrival that you found is right... hugs,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Suanj & Valarie,

Big hugs for your help on locating the information on Giuseppe. I'm sure that the person I've been helping will be ecstatic.

Biff
evol

Post by evol »

HI, I am Lucca Pietro from Montreal, qc Canada. born in Pietramelara P. Caserta. My grand father Lucca Pietro senior's wife was Maciariello Erminia. Her brother and his wife Arcangela lived in boonton (or nearby) N.J.. they had three children: one son (I think Dominic) and 2 doghters Betta and Rosina, who came to visit us in Montreal wrh great aunt Arcangela and a niece, in around 1963. They change their name Maciariello into Marcello. I am sure we are talking about the same persons. Lucca Pietro
evol

Post by evol »

HI, I am Lucca Pietro from Montreal, qc Canada. born in Pietramelara P. Caserta. My grand father Lucca Pietro senior's wife was Maciariello Erminia. Her brother and his wife Arcangela lived in boonton (or nearby) N.J.. they had three children: one son (I think Dominic) and 2 doghters Betta and Rosina, who came to visit us in Montreal wrh great aunt Arcangela and a niece, in around 1963. They change their name Maciariello into Marcello. I am sure we are talking about the same persons. Lucca Pietro