Marra family from Reggio in Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cettorre

Marra family from Reggio in Calabria

Post by cettorre »

Hi! I am researching my mother-in-laws family. Family name is Marra. The only info I have, is for her grandparents: Pasquale Antonio Marra from Reggio Calabria, married to Paulina Romano Marra. Paulina'a death was in 1926. Some of the family came to Canada. MY mother-in-laws mother was Dora Marra born 1911 in Canada. Dora married Joseph Delmar, born in Italy, not sure where. Dora's brothers and sisters born years before her were, Rose, Nicholas, Daniel, Carmelita. There may be others. Rose Marra married Joseph Porpiglia and lived in St. Catharines Canada. Brother Nicholas lived in Windsor Canada. I am pretty sure Pasquale and Paulina came to Canada with whole family. That is all the info I have. Not much to go on I know. If by chance this bit hooks up with anyone else's information, that would be great.
Thank you
Cathy
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Marra family from Reggio in Calabria

Post by pink67 »

Hello,
Just in the case that you don't have, from the site Familysearch.org the death dates for Paolina with her parent's names:

Ontario Deaths,1869-1937 and Overseas Deaths, 1939-1947

name: Paulina Marra
event: Death
event date: 27 Apr 1926
event place: Welland, Ontario
estimated birth year: 1870
father: Patsy Romeo
mother: Angela Surucia

spouse:
reference number: 035317
film number: 2079859
digital folder number: 4171426
image number: 683

link:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JK71-F4B

Laura
cettorre

Post by cettorre »

Thank you so much for posting the death information on Paolina Marra. I did not have the specifics, nor her parents names, which is really wonderful!
Cathy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

There is info for a son named Anthony born in 1907 who was a salesman. He made a few trips to the US and is an America citizen. On one trip in 1930 he was heading to see his brother Richard in Windsor @ 509 Pierrie Ave Windsor Ont. In 1931 he was going to see his sister ? Delmar @ 900 Elsmars in Windsor.

http://www.gentedimareitaliangenealogy. ... 0Marra.jpg

His marriage info:
Ontario, Canada, Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1747-1967 about Anthony Marra
Name: Anthony Marra
Spouse: Marie A Margaret Dovon
Event Year: 1925-1938
Event: Mariage (Marriage)
Religion: Catholique
Place of Worship or Institution: Windsor; Windsor (St Alphonse)
Province: Ontario

I'm having trouble linking the marriage record so I'll try later (unless someone else can link it for you first!)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Ontario, Canada, Catholic Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1747-1967 about Anthony Marra
Heres the record it is #9 on the registry
Click for image keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Thanks Marty! So I guess this would be Paula ROMEO's ship manifest traveling with 15 year daughter Anna ROSA Marra to see husband/father Antonio MARRA in New York:

First Name: Paola
Last Name: Romeo
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Reggio C.
Date of Arrival: May 01, 1901
Age at Arrival: 32y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Victoria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0002
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 4639020092
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
cettorre

Post by cettorre »

Thank you both for posting this information. I am having trouble reading some of the info. listed on the marriage record of Anthony Marra. His birth date is clear except for the actual day, And Marie's place of baptism, Can you make it out? Is "Parentes Sponsae" mean parents of the couple? And "Testes Matrimonii" witnesses perhaps? And what does "Adnotationes" mean, can't make out what's written there to try and figure the meaning.
It's interesting that Paola would give her maiden name instead of her married name on the ship manifest, or was that common? It's great because it really lets you know You've got the right person! I had not realized that Rose as she was called was born in Italy, seems they came to the U.S. later than I suspected, good to know.
Thanks again, it is much appreciated. :D
Cathy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

cettorre wrote: It's interesting that Paola would give her maiden name instead of her married name on the ship manifest, or was that common? It's great because it really lets you know You've got the right person! :D
Cathy
Yes it was common for women to travel under their maiden name unless *sometimes* when they traveled with their husbands they would use his name. In Italy woman generally do not use their husbands names.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
cettorre

Post by cettorre »

That's really interesting, I would have thought the opposite, given the times. Good to know, Thanks!
Nuccia, you are a well-spring of knowledge!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

cettorre wrote:That's really interesting, I would have thought the opposite, given the times. Good to know, Thanks!
Nuccia, you are a well-spring of knowledge!
Thanks - I had some great teachers over the last several years - most of who are members here. You will learn a lot from them all :D
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
jettorre

Post by jettorre »

Dora Marra Delmar was my maternal grandmother. The family lived in Pittsburgh in the middle of last century, but she and her four children (three of whom are still alive but quite elderly) moved to Cleveland in the 1950s and have remained there. I don't know much about the ancestry of that side of the family. so I was quite interested to stumble upon this string.
dsnaylor

Post by dsnaylor »

I'm new here and not sure if joining this particular forum is the way to go but I'm searching for information on my great-great grandfather, Giovanni Marra from Reggio Calabria and since this is about Marra's in Reggio, I thought maybe it would be a good place to start.

My understanding is that my great-great grandmother (Marie/Maria Concetta Leonardi/Leonardo) came to the United States alone with all of her children except her oldest son (Francesco/Frank Marra - my great-grandfather who came over around 1900) in about November 1902 (could also be some time in 1903).

My grandmother was born in approximately 1866 in Italy (not sure exactly where), and died in New York, USA on 11 Nov 1946. All of her children were born in Bovalino, Reggio di Calabria, Calabria, Italy, as far as I can find. Five of them died in New York, and the other two in California and Ohio (from what I've been able to discover).

Her children are:
Francesco (Frank) Marra 1886-1971 (my great-grandfather)
Giuseppina (Josephine) Marra 1887-1967
Antoinette Marra 1890-1967
Giuseppe Marra 1893-1967
Anthony Daniel Marra 1898-1980
Angelina Marra 1900-1936
Marie Marra 1901-1977

On some the census paperwork connected to my GGGma, she lists herself as a widow, which puts my GGGpa as passing before 1910. I'm not 100% if Giovanni actually passed away, or if it was recorded this way simply because he didn't travel to the US with the rest of the family.

I've hit a bit of a brick wall and am wondering if anyone might have recommendations on how I can further my search for my GGGpa?

Thank you so much for any thoughts/hints/etc. Happy to share any information I have, if it would help.